HELP solubility product determine solubility of lead 2 chloride mol/L and g/L

In summary, using the accepted value of Ksp=1.2*10^-5 for lead 2 chloride, the solubility of PbCl2 was determined to be 0.014 mol/L or 3.98 g/L. The value for molar mass of Pb2+ may vary depending on the source, but the answer should be reported as -3.9 g/L. It is important to note that the solubility is traditionally represented as -x, and the molar mass used should be accurate to ensure correct calculations.
aisha
use you accepted value for the solubility product of lead 2 chloride to determine the solubility of lead 2 chloride in mol/L and g/L

the accepted value is ksp=1.2*10^-5

Ksp=[Pb] [Cl]^2

1.2*10^-5 = (x) (2x)^2

x=0.014 mol/L

0.014 mol/L * 276.1 g/mol
=3.98 g/L

I don't know if I did this right can someone please tell me ASAP

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you represent with x? [Pb2+], right?

The solubility of PbCl2 is the concentration of Pb2+ at equilibrium (Cl- has a higher concentration); the molar mass of Pb2+ is 207g/mol.

Last edited:
The result in the initial post seems accurate to me. The only problem I see is that solubility is traditionally -x (not just x), because it represents the amount of PbCl_2 *dissolved* per liter. Your instructor may or may not care about this technicality. Also, your value used for the molar mass was 276.2. Using a periodic table I found online I got a value of 278.14, and so I would have reported the answer as:

- .014 mol/L * 278.14 g/mol = - 3.9 g/L

I think your answer for the bottom problem had a typo in it either way because when you multiply .014 * 276.1 you get 3.86 and not 3.98 like you are reporting.

Cheers.

What is the solubility product of lead 2 chloride?

The solubility product of lead 2 chloride is a constant value that indicates the maximum amount of the compound that can dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature. It is denoted by Ksp and is calculated by multiplying the concentrations of the ions in a saturated solution.

How can the solubility product be used to determine the solubility of lead 2 chloride in mol/L?

To determine the solubility of lead 2 chloride in mol/L, we can use the equation Ksp = [Pb2+][Cl-]^2, where [Pb2+] is the concentration of lead ions and [Cl-] is the concentration of chloride ions. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for the concentration of lead ions, which will give us the solubility of lead 2 chloride in mol/L.

Can the solubility product be used to determine the solubility of lead 2 chloride in g/L?

Yes, the solubility product can also be used to determine the solubility of lead 2 chloride in g/L. To do this, we need to convert the concentration of ions from mol/L to g/L by using the molar mass of lead 2 chloride. Then, we can follow the same steps as in determining the solubility in mol/L.

How does temperature affect the solubility of lead 2 chloride?

The solubility of lead 2 chloride generally increases with an increase in temperature. This is because as temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the particles also increases, allowing for more collisions between the solvent molecules and the solute particles, resulting in a higher solubility. However, this trend may not always be true, as some compounds have a solubility that decreases with increasing temperature.

What factors can influence the solubility of lead 2 chloride?

The solubility of lead 2 chloride can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, pH of the solution, and the presence of other substances in the solution. For example, the solubility of lead 2 chloride may decrease in the presence of a common ion, such as chloride ions, as it can lead to a decrease in the concentration of lead ions in the solution. Additionally, the solubility of lead 2 chloride may also be affected by the solubility of its product, lead hydroxide, which can form in basic solutions.