Straight Line Motion: Time & Distance Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calculus to solve a problem involving a particle of mass m moving in a straight line with a resistive force of magnitude a+bv. The formulae for the time taken for the particle to come to rest and for the distance travelled are obtained using the expression for acceleration and a solution of the form v(t) = c_1 + c_2 e^{-c_3 t}. The conversation also includes a discussion of finding the constants c1, c2, and c3 to solve the problem.
Jess1986
A particle of mass m moves in a straight line subject only to a resistive force of magnitute a+bv, when the particle's speed is v, where a and b positive constants. If the particle was set moving with initial speed u, obtain formulae for the time taken for it to come to rest and for the distance travelled.

Really stuck on this q. don't really know where to start. Any ideas anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully you are using calculus, is this true?

If so, find an expression for the acceleration (Newton's second law).

Yes i am using calculus.
Would a=-(a+bv) be correct?

Jess1986 said:
Yes i am using calculus.
Would a=-(a+bv) be correct?

Yes. So [itex] { dv \over dt} = - (a + b v) [/itex]. I would try a solution of the form [itex] v(t) = c_1 + c_2 e^{-c_3 t} [/itex]. It seems to me that this should do the trick.

Pat

Surely the accleration would be

[tex] a = \frac{a+bv}{m}[/tex]

or am I missing something?

Hootenanny said:
Surely the accleration would be

[tex] a = \frac{a+bv}{m}[/tex]

or am I missing something?

Yes, you are right, I forgot the mass. Thanks!
(but it is a minus sign because it is a resistive force)

how do i use [itex] v(t) = c_1 + c_2 e^{-c_3 t} [/itex]
to solve this?

Jess1986 said:
to solve this?

You know that when it is at rest v = 0, this will allow you to find a solution for t. You will then have to integrate v(t) to find x(t). You can then plug your value of t into x(t) to obtain the distance travelled. :smile:

i am unsure how to get [itex] v(t) = c_1 + c_2 e^{-c_3 t} [/itex] from the differential eq.?

Jess1986 said:
to solve this?

Impose v(o) = u. That gives you one condition. Plug this solution in the differential equation for v(t), and impose that the two sides of the equations must be equal, that will give you two conditions (one condition for the terms proportional to the exponential, one for the terms with no exponentials. altogether, you have three conditions which will allow you to fix the three constants.

Then set v=0 (comes to rest) and solve for t.
Then, integrate v(t) to find x(t) (with the initial condition x(0) = 0) . Plug th et you found above in x(t) and you will find the distance travelled.

Pat

Jess1986 said:
i am unsure how to get [itex] v(t) = c_1 + c_2 e^{-c_3 t} [/itex] from the differential eq.?

I did not get it "from" the diff equation. I just happen to know that this kind of diff equation has a solution of that form. It comes from knowledge of differential equations, not from algebraic manipulations.

ok i see, thanks

i have got u=c1 + c2 at t=0. how do i find the condition with the exponential in?

Jess1986 said:
i have got u=c1 + c2 at t=0. how do i find the condition with the exponential in?

well, that tells you c1= u- c2.

Now, [itex] v(t) = u + c_2 (e^{-c_3 t} - 1) [/itex]

Now plug this into the diff equation and that will give you two conditions which will fix c2 and c3.

sorry to keep asking questions but what exactly do you mean when you say ' plug it in the diff. eq' which part? how can i do this? thanks

Jess1986 said:
sorry to keep asking questions but what exactly do you mean when you say ' plug it in the diff. eq' which part? how can i do this? thanks

Plug v(t) into [itex] m dv/dt = - (a + b v) [/itex].

Pat

do i need to integrate this equation to sub this in?

Jess1986 said:

No [itex]v(t)[/itex] is the same as writing [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] so, in other words [itex]v(t) = \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] :smile:

Jess1986 said:

No! You just have to calculate a derivative..
You know v(t). calculate dv/dt. Now, in m dv/dt = - (a +b v), insert your expression fro v(t) and for dv/dt.

so is dv/dt= c2e^-c3t??

Hootenanny said:
No [itex]v(t)[/itex] is the same as writing [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] so, in other words [itex]v(t) = \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] :smile:

? I lost you on that one!:wink:

Jess1986 said:
so is dv/dt= c2e^-c3t??

No... [itex] {d \over dt} ( u + c_2 (e^{-c_3 t} - 1 ) = -c_2 c_3 e^{-c_3 t} [/itex]

nrqed said:
? I lost you on that one!:wink:

Damn! I thought she said v'(t). What I meant to say was [itex]v'(t) = \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] Thank's for pulling me up.

oh yes oh course i forgot to bring the -c3 down, thanks

ive ended up with what looks a complicated expression with many c1,c2,c3...is there an easy way which i can solve for t? thanks

Jess1986 said:
ive ended up with what looks a complicated expression with many c1,c2,c3...is there an easy way which i can solve for t? thanks

Don't solve for t yet. You must first find your c2 and c3 in terms of u and m.

Unfortunately I have to go. I can answer again in the evening (in about 5-6 hours )

Pat

ok thanks for your help x

1. What is straight line motion?

Straight line motion is the movement of an object along a path that remains straight and does not curve or change direction.

2. How is time calculated in straight line motion?

Time in straight line motion can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the speed or velocity of the object.

3. How is distance calculated in straight line motion?

Distance in straight line motion can be calculated by multiplying the speed or velocity of the object by the time it takes to travel that distance.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in straight line motion?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. In straight line motion, speed and velocity are the same since the object is moving in a straight line.

5. Can straight line motion occur in a curved path?

No, by definition, straight line motion occurs along a path that remains straight and does not curve. If an object is moving in a curved path, it is not considered straight line motion.