What is Chelsea's kinetic energy at t=2.50s?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the kinetic energy of a cat named Chelsea chasing a car. The formula for kinetic energy in terms of mass and velocity is discussed, and there is confusion about whether to find the first or second derivative. It is clarified that the kinetic energy can be found by using the first derivative of the displacement, and the formula is given as 0.5*mass*(velocity)^2. The conversation also touches on differentiating \frac{1}{t + 1} and the use of chain rule.
positive infinity
Hello again and here is another problem I can't seem to figure out.

Chelsea, a calico cat, runs in a straight line chasing a car down the street. Chelsea weighs 36.5 N. and her position along the road is given by
x(t)=(3.50m/s)t+(0.425m/s^2)t^2+1.00ms/(t+1.00s)
Calculate Chelsea's kinitec energy at t=2.50s

The answe is 57.1 joules

Okay not I am not to sure if I'm supposed to find the first or the second derivative. well I compiled it like so
x(t)=at+bt^2+c/(t+d)
x'(t)=a+2bt+(t+d)*F((x)c)-c*F((x)t+d)/(t+d)^2 which comes out to
x'(t)=3.50m/s+2(0.425m/s^2)(2.50s)+(2.5m/s^2)/(2.5m/s+1.00s)^2 = 5.83m
(m*N)=Joules, 5.83m*36.5 N = 212.8 J <--way off so i tried for a second deriv.
x''(t)=2(0.425m/s^2+6.25m/s^2/(2.5s*1.00s)^3= 0.996m 0.996m*36.5N=36.3 J <-- still wrong , Where am I messing up can anyone please help me??!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for kinetic energy in terms of mass and velocity ?

Is velocity the first differential or second differential of the position wrt time ?

The differentiation is wrong. What is [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{x + c})[/tex] ?

well I used the quotient rule, at the end because it seemed most logical. all we have to do is calculate the amount of joules whic m*N= J and we find the deriv. of the position time function given But, I'm not so sure.

positive infinity said:
well I used the quotient rule, at the end because it seemed most logical. all we have to do is calculate the amount of joules whic m*N= J and we find the deriv. of the position time function given But, I'm not so sure.

From the way you wrote the expression out, isn't it of the form :

[tex]3.5t + 0.425t^2 + \frac{1}{t + 1}[/tex]

rather than

[tex]\frac{3.5t + 0.425t^2 +1}{t + 1}[/tex] ?

The former expression does not need quotient rule to differentiate it. Well you can, but there's a much easier way to do it. But first clarify the question. Besides where do all the F(x) etc come from ?

Curious3141 said:
The former expression does not need quotient rule to differentiate it. Well you can, but there's a much easier way to do it. But first clarify the question. Besides where do all the F(x) etc come from ?

[tex]3.5t + 0.425t^2 + \frac{1}{t + 1}[/tex] That is the correct equation.

Im in the same class, by the F(x)'s that's the position time function we are givin. Now I am confused on how to find Kinetic energy. Do I just determine the first derivative? Will that give me K.E(t)?

Thanks,
Andy

tanky322 said:
[tex]3.5t + 0.425t^2 + \frac{1}{t + 1}[/tex] That is the correct equation.

Im in the same class, by the F(x)'s that's the position time function we are givin. Now I am confused on how to find Kinetic energy. Do I just determine the first derivative? Will that give me K.E(t)?

Thanks,
Andy

The first derivative of the displacement will give the velocity.

The kinetic energy is given by 0.5*mass*(velocity)^2

The mass can be found from the weight of the cat (given).

Can you differentiate [tex]\frac{1}{t + 1}[/tex] wrt t

by chain rule ? Or you can use quotient rule, but chain rule is easier here.

1. What is a position time function?

A position time function is a mathematical representation of an object's position in space as a function of time. It is a way to describe how an object's position changes over a period of time.

2. How is a position time function different from a position function?

A position time function includes the element of time, while a position function only describes an object's position at a specific point in time. A position time function is a more dynamic representation of an object's motion.

3. What are the variables in a position time function?

The variables in a position time function are time (t) and position (x). Time is typically represented on the horizontal axis and position is represented on the vertical axis.

4. What is the significance of the slope of a position time graph?

The slope of a position time graph represents an object's velocity, or how fast it is moving. A steeper slope indicates a greater velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a slower velocity.

5. How is the position time function used in physics?

The position time function is used in physics to study and analyze the motion of objects. It allows scientists to predict an object's position at any given time, as well as its velocity and acceleration. This information is crucial in understanding the laws of motion and how objects move in the physical world.