Characteristic X-rays, intensity ratios

In summary, the intensity ratios of characteristic X-rays (Kalpha to Kbeta) originating from a X-ray tube are usually about 2 to 1 with the KA transition being more probable. This is contrary to a X-ray diffraction spectrum which may show Kbeta as being more intense than Kalpha.
jonas_nilsson
Hi!

What can be said about the intensity ratios of characteristic X-rays (Kalpha to Kbeta ) originating from a X-ray tube? I mean roughly and in general, not for some very specific anode material.

I first thought that K-L (Kalpha) transitions would be more likely to happen than K-M:s (Kbeta). Then I had a look at a X-ray diffraction spectrum, and it seems Kbeta is quite a bit more intense than Kalpha.

Looking forwards to reading your wise thoughts!

Physics news on Phys.org
about 2 to 1 usually. The KA transition is more probable. I don't understand how you could deduce something contrary to this, especially from a diffraction pattern. did you mean fluorescence spectrum?

1. What are characteristic X-rays?

Characteristic X-rays are a type of radiation that is emitted from atoms when they are hit by high energy electrons. These X-rays have specific wavelengths and energies that are unique to each element.

2. How are characteristic X-rays produced?

Characteristic X-rays are produced when high energy electrons collide with the inner shell electrons of an atom, causing them to be ejected. As the outer shell electrons fill the empty spaces, they release energy in the form of X-rays.

3. What is the significance of intensity ratios in characteristic X-rays?

The intensity ratio of characteristic X-rays can provide information about the composition and structure of a sample. By comparing the intensities of different X-ray peaks, scientists can determine the elements present and their relative concentrations.

4. How is the intensity ratio of characteristic X-rays measured?

The intensity ratio of characteristic X-rays is measured using techniques such as X-ray fluorescence or X-ray diffraction. These methods involve bombarding the sample with X-rays and analyzing the resulting radiation to determine the intensity of each peak.

5. What factors can affect the intensity ratio of characteristic X-rays?

The intensity ratio of characteristic X-rays can be affected by various factors such as the atomic structure of the elements present, the energy of the incident electrons, and the composition and thickness of the sample. Other factors, such as instrument calibration and measurement techniques, can also have an impact on the intensity ratio.