The Hardest and Worst Jobs Ever Done

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, Tsu and I are working on a burn pile today when the small chainsaw he was using failed. This caused him to use a 30" saw which is much heavier. The combination of the heavy saw, the dense brush, and the steep hill made this job one of the hardest he's ever done.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't recall having a thread about the hardest or worst jobs ever done.

Tsu and I have been clearing about thirty trees on a hill. Today we had what was I believe our ninth burn pile, with each pile blazing perhaps ten to fifteen pick-up loads worth of brush, branches, and logs. As the day progresses, the fires get so hot that one can hardly get within ten feet without getting burned.

Things were cooking along pretty well until the 18" chainsaw failed. Since then I have been using a 30" saw that easily weighs twice as much as the small one. That was the tipping point. Between the heavy saw, the branches that don't moved when pulled, the heavy logs, the steep hill, the blazing hot fire, the constant pokes, cuts, trips, and slides, and the sheer mass of twenty years worth of growth, this definitely qualifies as one of the hardest jobs that I've had to do in a very long time. We're having a blast, and Tsu can't get enough of burn piles, but cripes, what a butt-kicker!

Beyond that, while in HS and living in N. Calif where the summer temps can reach as much as 125 degrees, I ran a jack hammer in rock one summer, and set mobile homes the next. Those were the two worst jobs ever, by far. Working conditions can't get much worse. If you layed a tool down in the sun and forgot about it, within ten minutes it was hot enough to give you a nice second degree burn [blisters]. We had to stop and drink water every fifteen minutes or so to keep from dehydrating. And the boss was a thoughtless type who nearly got me killed a couple of times. Once, a mobile home fell off the jacks while I was under it and I barely got out in time. That was my last day.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Evo has the worst job

and that's just counting the forum

Experimental string theorist.

Rach3 said:
Experimental string theorist.

haha it would be funny if the name itself wasn't such a glaring contradiction. Maybe experimental string researcher?

Hmm, experimental string physicist?
Oops, still contradictory...

That was mean. I apologize.

Working in a mill humping cwt bags 8hrs a day, or spud picking, or mucking
out 30,000 bird chicken farm, or bailing at harvest time, all things in the past
that i did as a youth.

I spent 1,5 years working as a personal assistant(more or less slave) to mentaly and/or physicaly disabled. That was by far the worst job I have ever had.

I don't mind physicaly heavy jobs. I enjoy them alot. I would love to work in the woods or something like that.

But I just can't stand taking care of totaly ungratefull people that behave like ****. Cleaning there apartments, cooking there food, wiping there asses, changing diapers, doing all that while they are *****ing, nagging and screaming. Not to mention the pay was a disgrace. Never again.

I don't know about the worst jobs...

But I would say the coolesst job would be An Indian Shaman :tongue2:

Rach3 said:
That was mean. I apologize.

You can't be mean to something that doesn't exist.

Zz.

You're mean! :frown:

Never work at any job in an oil refinery, especially not cleaning jobs. You wear bio-hazard kind of suits and boy is it messy!

University administration.

Mk said:
You're mean! :frown:

Never work at any job in an oil refinery, especially not cleaning jobs. You wear bio-hazard kind of suits and boy is it messy!

Haha I just applied for a job at an oil refinery working shutdown, I think I applied to late though so I don't think I'm going to get it :frown:

Roofing and Framing

Any job that requries you to work form 7pm-12pm and then wake up the very next 7 in the morning

Papermaker on a high-speed coated paper machine with insufficient ventilation. After a while you get chilled when entering a control room air-conditioned to 80 deg F. Step back out onto the operating floor with ~125 deg F at nearly 100% relative humidity, and you bead up with condensation - you can sweat, but it won't evaporate. Working hard under those conditions (often required) can kill you with heat stress, and if the heat stress doesn't kill you, the machine will gobble you in a heartbeat if you faint and fall.

Instilling eye drops that sting like h*#!*&^ in children all day long.....makes for a very long day :frown:
Not physically testing but mentally so.

larkspur said:
Instilling eye drops that sting like h*#!*&^ in children all day long.....makes for a very long day :frown:
Not physically testing but mentally so.

Unless you are a certain kind of person :devil: :biggrin:

Speaking of jobs, I had my first day of work to day pushing shopping carts at Target. They basicly lied right to my face saying it was an easy job. I just talked to someone today that had my position for over a year and said it was easily the hardest job their. The managers just lie to new people so they'll take the job. Sigh... My legs are so sore right now...

I just got a summer job as an auto detailer, 12 hour shifts but lots of days off to compensate. I think it should be fun.

I work full time as a butcher during the summer at the St Lawrence Market in Toronto, which basically means being there at 6 am (it takes me an hour to get there), and working till about 6 - 7 pm, 5 days a week. And sometimes 5 and a half. :grumpy:
And summer's coming.

Although the pay isn't half bad...

Being a parent.

All those boring, stressful, dangerous, uncomfortable tasks that are mentioned throughout this thead - imagine something so hard to do, that you would volunteer of your own free will to do those boring stressful, dangerous, uncomfortable tasks, day in and day out without complaint - as simply a means to a greater end - just to make that one primary job go better.

Add in: no pay, no sick leave, no vacation time.

Markjdb said:
I work full time as a butcher during the summer at the St Lawrence Market in Toronto...
Hey, maybe I'll come down and say hi!

1. What are some examples of the hardest and worst jobs ever done?

Some examples of the hardest and worst jobs ever done include coal mining, logging, fishing, construction work, and farming. These jobs often involve physically demanding tasks and dangerous working conditions.

2. What makes a job considered to be the hardest and worst?

A job is considered to be the hardest and worst when it involves physical labor, dangerous conditions, low pay, long hours, and little recognition or appreciation. These jobs often require individuals to work in difficult environments and face high levels of stress and exhaustion.

3. Are there any health risks associated with the hardest and worst jobs?

Yes, there are significant health risks associated with the hardest and worst jobs. Workers in these jobs often experience injuries, illnesses, and long-term health issues due to their work environments and the physical demands of their jobs.

4. Why do people choose to do the hardest and worst jobs?

Some people may choose to do the hardest and worst jobs because they have limited employment opportunities or lack the necessary education or skills for other types of work. Others may be drawn to these jobs for the potential for higher pay or a sense of fulfillment from working in physically demanding roles.

5. How can society support workers in the hardest and worst jobs?

Society can support workers in the hardest and worst jobs by providing fair wages, safe working conditions, and access to healthcare and other benefits. Additionally, promoting education and training programs can help individuals in these jobs develop new skills and pursue alternative career paths.