Troubleshooting Internet Connection Issues on a Newly Built Computer

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: ISP's tech support told them to try what we advised them.In summary, the user has built a new computer and installed XP Pro. They can't connect to the internet. The ethernet port and router are both on, but there are no packets sent or received. They've tried the other port and it's not working. They've also tried restarting the computer and the router. There are no firewalls on. The user is trying to ping the other computer and the router and see if they get anything. If that doesn't work, they're trying to use the network cable from the other computer, and if that doesn't work, they're trying to restart the computer.
Dragonfall
I just built a new computer. I installed XP Pro, everything boots up, and seem to work, except I can't connect to the net. The light on my ethernet port and router are both on, but there are no packets sent or received, and I can't repair my connection. Help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Did you install the network driver?

You mean my ethernet card's driver? It seems to be installed.

Have you called your ISP to have them check your settings and make sure your account is active?

I'm using this computer to connect through the same router, and it's working fine. I have an ASUS M2N-SLI motherboard (the other comp) and I'm using the on-board LAN port. What's weird is there are 2 ports, but there's only one "card" on the device manager. I can 'enable' my connection, but when I try to repair it, it says "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed." DHCP on my router is on.

have you tried the other port?
try setting the IP and subnet mask manually, check what's the IP of the other computer and change only the last number... (i.e. xxx.xxx.xxx.a - where xxx are the numbers in the other PC and a is a unique number which you don't have on your network.)
subnet should be 255.255.255.0... but check how it is with the other computer.

to get the info from the other computer get to the console (Run->cmd)
and type ipconfig.
oh, and copy the gateway too.

try pinging the other computer and the router and see if you get anything...

if that doesn't work make sure there are no firewalls on.
try using the network cable from the other computer - maybe your cable is damaged...
and if all fails, try restart :biggrin: heh, sometimes with no apperant reason, things just work if you shut down your computer for a minute and try again... i'd also suggest shutting down the router for a minute too, and starting it up before you turn the computer on.

Last edited:
boot a livecd like knoppix...
if network problems persist, then it's not your XP installation... then, one can focus on hardware problems.

(are you using the correct network cable?... e.g., not a cross-over cable)

It really sounds like a driver issue. Check that all network drivers are installed. You said you were using an eternet card? Try the default connection on the motherboard. If that one does not work, load up the CD that came with your motherboard and make sure the drivers are installed.

they never come back to report what happened when they tried our advices :cry:

1. Why can't I connect to the internet?

There could be several reasons for not being able to connect to the internet. It could be due to a problem with your internet service provider, a faulty modem or router, network connectivity issues, or a problem with your device's network settings.

2. How can I fix the "can't connect to the internet" issue?

First, try restarting your modem or router. If that doesn't work, check your network settings and make sure they are correct. You can also try connecting to a different network or using a different device to see if the problem persists. If all else fails, contact your internet service provider for assistance.

3. Why is my computer saying "no internet connection" even though I'm connected to Wi-Fi?

Sometimes, even though your device is connected to Wi-Fi, it may not have internet access. This could be due to a weak Wi-Fi signal, network congestion, or a problem with your router. Try moving closer to your router or resetting it to see if that helps.

4. Can a virus or malware cause connection issues?

Yes, a virus or malware can interfere with your device's network settings and cause connection issues. It is important to have a reliable anti-virus program installed and regularly scan your device for any potential threats.

5. Is it possible for my internet service provider to be the cause of the connection problem?

Yes, it is possible for your internet service provider to be the cause of the connection problem. They may be experiencing technical difficulties or performing maintenance that is affecting your internet connection. Contact your internet service provider to inquire about any known outages or issues in your area.