Proof of the Deduction Principle

It's not exactly a formal proof, but it's close.In summary, the principle of Conditional Introduction states that if a set of formulae, \Gamma, together with a formula, \varphi, logically implies another formula, \psi, then \Gamma alone also implies the implication of \varphi and \psi. This principle is justified by the definition of logical implication. The proof for this principle can be demonstrated through a semantic proof, showing that if \Gamma \cup \{\varphi\} logically implies \psi, then \Gamma alone must also imply the implication of \varphi and \psi. Alternatively, the proof can be demonstrated through a formal proof, using the definition of truth-valuation and the concept of Reductio
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Let [tex]\varphi[/tex] and [tex]\psi[/tex] both be formulae, and let [tex]\Gamma[/tex] be a set of formulae.

If [tex]\Gamma \cup \{\varphi\} \models \psi[/tex], then [tex]\Gamma \models (\varphi \rightarrow \psi)[/tex]

This is the principle by which the rule of inference known as Conditional Introduction is justified, but I cannot seem to find a proof for it, though the claim in the text is that it is an easy proof. Does anybody know what the proof is?

Physics news on Phys.org
loseyourname said:
Let [tex]\varphi[/tex] and [tex]\psi[/tex] both be formulae, and let [tex]\Gamma[/tex] be a set of formulae.

If [tex]\Gamma \cup \{\varphi\} \models \psi[/tex], then [tex]\Gamma \models (\varphi \rightarrow \psi)[/tex]

This is the principle by which the rule of inference known as Conditional Introduction is justified, but I cannot seem to find a proof for it, though the claim in the text is that it is an easy proof. Does anybody know what the proof is?

It pretty much follows from the definition of [tex]\models[/tex]. Suppose [tex]\Gamma \cup \{\varphi\} \models \psi[/tex]. Then every truth assignment that satisfies [tex]\Gamma \cup \{\varphi\}[/tex] must also satisfy [tex]\psi[/tex].

Last edited:
I can see intuitively why it's true, I'd just like to know how to write out the actual proof for purposes of demonstration. I guess the real question is just if there is some special method that has to be used to demonstrate that one argument implies another, or if we can just treat each as a conditional, in which case the proof seems to be a simple, one-step case of exportation:

1. [tex](\gamma \wedge \varphi) \rightarrow \psi[/tex]
2. [tex]\therefore \gamma \rightarrow (\varphi \rightarrow \psi)[/tex]
3. [tex]\gamma \rightarrow (\varphi \rightarrow \psi)[/tex] 1. Exp.

Can it really be that simple, or do I also have to demonstrate how [itex]\Gamma \cup \{\varphi\} \models \psi[/itex] is equivalent to [itex](\gamma \wedge \varphi) \rightarrow \psi[/itex] and so on?

Last edited:
loseyourname said:
I can see intuitively why it's true, I'd just like to know how to write out the actual proof for purposes of demonstration.

You mean a syntactic proof? [itex]\models[/itex] is a semantic notion, so the following semantic proof will suffice:

Suppose [itex]\Gamma \cup \{\varphi\} \models \psi[/itex] but not [itex]\Gamma \models (\varphi \rightarrow \psi)[/itex]. Then there is some truth assignment [itex]\tau[/itex] that satisfies [itex]\Gamma[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex] but not [itex]\psi[/itex]. But [itex]\Gamma \cup \{\varphi\} \models \psi[/itex], so [itex]\tau[/itex] satisfies [itex]\Gamma[/itex], [itex]\varphi[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex]. That is a contradiction, hence [itex]\Gamma \models (\varphi \rightarrow \psi)[/itex].

Last edited:
Well gee, that's even simpler. Thanks.

loseyourname said:

i should point out that the deduction thoerem is an iff statement.

another way of proving this thoerem is as follows:
suppose a1,...,an|=b
then we either have the premise as true and the conclusion b as true, or the conclusion false.
the first case is trivial.
for the second part, suppose an is true then a1,...an-1 is false and an->b is either true or false depending on b, either way we get a1,...,an-1|=an->b
now if an is false then a1,...,an-1 is either false or true but the cocnlusion is always true, cause an->b is always true.
so either way we get a1,...,an-1|=an->b

As wave said, |= is a semantic notion. However, whenever I've heard of the deduction theorem, it's been about the deductive strength of a system. I.e. what you said but with |- instead of |=.

How hard this is to prove will depend upon the deductive rules and/or axioms of the system in question.

You can formalize the metaproof if that's what you want. Here are the parts that I felt like writing out, which seem to be the parts wave skipped. Since you need two implication symbols, I let [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] be the one from the original object language.

1. [tex]\forall \tau, \phi, \psi \ [(\tau(\phi \rightarrow \psi) = F) \ \Leftrightarrow \ (\tau(\phi) = T \ \wedge \ \tau(\psi) = F)][/tex] -- from definition of truth-valuation.
2. [tex]| \exists \tau, \Phi, \phi, \psi \ [((\tau(\Phi) = T \ \wedge \ \tau(\phi) = T) \ \Rightarrow \ \tau(\psi) = T) \ \wedge \ (\tau(\Phi) = T \ \wedge \ \tau(\phi \rightarrow \psi) = F)][/tex] -- theorem to prove written out in terms of truth-valuations, negated for Reductio, and simplified.
3. [tex]| \exists \tau, \Phi, \phi, \psi \ [(\neg(\tau(\Phi) = T \ \wedge \ \tau(\phi) = T \ \wedge \ \tau(\psi) = F) \ \wedge \ (\tau(\Phi) = T \ \wedge \ (\tau(\phi) = T \ \wedge \ \tau(\psi) = F)][/tex] -- to first conjunct: double negation, distribute inner negation, swap 'not equal to true' for 'equal to false'; to second conjunct: substitute formula from (1).

There's your plain-as-day contradiction.

Last edited:

What is the Deduction Principle?

The Deduction Principle is a logical rule that states that if a statement A implies a statement B, and A is true, then B must also be true. It is a fundamental principle in logic and is used to make valid deductions and inferences.

What is the difference between Deduction Principle and Induction Principle?

The Deduction Principle is a logical rule that is used to make valid deductions based on given premises. The Induction Principle, on the other hand, is used to make generalizations based on observations or data, and is not considered as a logically valid method of reasoning.

What is an example of using the Deduction Principle?

One example of using the Deduction Principle is in a syllogism, where two premises are given and a conclusion is drawn based on the logical relationship between the premises. For example: Premise 1: All mammals are warm-blooded. Premise 2: Cats are mammals. Conclusion: Therefore, cats are warm-blooded.

Why is the Deduction Principle important in science?

The Deduction Principle is important in science because it allows scientists to make logical deductions and inferences from given premises, which is essential in formulating and testing hypotheses and theories. It also helps in making predictions and drawing conclusions based on evidence and data.

Are there any limitations to the Deduction Principle?

Yes, there are limitations to the Deduction Principle. It can only be used to make valid deductions if the premises are true and the logical relationship between them is accurate. If the premises are false or the logical relationship is flawed, then the conclusion drawn may also be false.