Double Email Notification

• Thread starter Another God
  • Start date
In summary, the two emails you get for every reply to a thread you are subscribed to is because the subscription is not connected to email notifications. You can change the default to not get email notifications for threads you are subscribed to.
Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I am getting two emails for each time someone replies to a thread I am subscribed. Anyone else getting this?

I'm not sure if Ihave actually subscribed to these thread, or if they are just threads which PF is automatically telling me about (this version does it automatically doesn't it?). Perhaps it is sending me two because i am subscribed, and because it will automatically tell me about threads which I have participated in? One email for each...

Physics news on Phys.org
According to what i have found so far :
The subscription is not directly connected to getting email notifications.
A subscription is used to get back to the topic some days later (From the "User CP"), to subscribe to a thread click the "subscribe to this thread" link at the end of each thread.
While the email notification is something you set when putting a reply in a thread (or starting a new thread), it shows as a little check box before the submit button, if you check it you will have get email notifications.
You get an email notification whenever someone sends a reply to the post where you requested email notifications, you will not get any further email notification (or, you are not supposed to) until you check that thread.
If you check the thread and someone replies to it again, you will get a second email notification.
You can make the check box to be defaultly unchecked from the "User CP" under "My options" (or sth like that).

I guess what is happening with you is either a server problem, or that you are checking the thread afther each email.
This double notification problem did not face me so far.

I've gotten a double email notification for everything I've [apparently] subscribed to. I must've been really drunk or something when I registered into PF yesterday, because I do not remember subscribing to all those topics. Basically, every topic I replied to, I got an email notifying me that someone had replied.

You will get email notifications on the topics by default unless you change this default.
Change it from the User CP , under Edit Options .
The option is called Use 'Email Notification' by default? .

Thanks STAii.

I want email notifications, but getting two emails for each single reply is annoying. Just more emails to delete =)

Done and done.
I didn't mind getting email notifications for the threads I've participated in, but like AG, I got two emails for the same thing.
It kept flooding my inbox, and I'm lazy when it comes to keeping my inbox under control.

Hello,

If you're using Microsoft Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook to check a Hotmail account, well, what happens is normal. This is a nasty thing that happens for all my emails. As a proof you can try deleting one of the double emails and refresh your Outlook inbox to see how the twin disappears with its deleted copy like there has never been "two" emails there.

Otherwise, I don't know.

What is double email notification?

Double email notification is when a person receives two emails for the same event or message. This can occur due to technical errors or user settings.

Why am I receiving double email notifications?

There could be several reasons for receiving double email notifications. It could be due to a technical glitch in the system, incorrect email settings, or being added to multiple email distribution lists.

How do I stop receiving double email notifications?

To stop receiving double email notifications, you can check your email settings and make sure you are not subscribed to multiple email lists. You can also contact the sender and ask to be removed from their email list.

Is double email notification harmful?

No, double email notification is not harmful. It may be annoying to receive multiple emails for the same thing, but it does not pose any security threats or cause any harm to your device.

How can I prevent others from receiving double email notifications from me?

To prevent others from receiving double email notifications from you, make sure to only send the email once and check for any technical errors before sending. You can also ask the recipient if they would like to be added to your email distribution list before sending multiple emails.