Calculating Spring Weight: Formulas and Tips for Compression Testing

• Thread starter bucky1andonly
  • Start date
In summary, calculating the weight of a spring for compression testing involves using specific formulas and following key tips. The basic formula for calculating the weight of a spring is to multiply its wire diameter by its mean diameter and then by its length. Additional considerations include the material of the spring, the number of active coils, and the load applied during testing. It is also important to properly measure and record the dimensions of the spring and to use accurate conversion factors for different units of measurement. By following these guidelines, accurate weight calculations can be obtained for reliable compression testing results.
bucky1andonly
is there any formulas for a spring, or any way at all to calculate the weight needed to compress a spring, or do you just have to experiment

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmh the law is "you have to exert a constant force of kx to maintain the spring stretched a distance x from its position of equilibrium", where k is the spring constant. But ultimately, you have to find k experimentally.

quasar987 is correct; k can only be determined experimetally. Once you have that:

A simple form of Hooke's law
[tex]F=-kx[/tex]
F = force. k = spring constant. x = displacement from relaxed (not stretched or compressed). Note the right side is negative to denote "equal but opposite".

Also:
[tex]PE = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex].

The negative sign in Hooke's law indicates that the direction of the restoring force is opposite to the displacement from the unstretched position. For example: Displace the end of the spring to the right, the spring force acts to the left.

...if you don't have K, though, you can still calculate it from the properties of the material and shape of the spring.

thx, that helped a lot

1. What kind of information do you need?

As a scientist, I often need specific and accurate information related to my research or experiments. This can include data, statistics, facts, or theories.

2. Where can I find the information I need?

There are various sources where you can find information, such as scientific journals, books, online databases, or reputable websites. It is important to ensure that the source is reliable and credible.

3. How do I know if the information I found is accurate?

As a scientist, it is crucial to critically evaluate the information you find. You can cross-check the information with other sources and look for evidence or supporting data. Peer-reviewed articles are also a good indicator of accuracy.

4. Can you recommend any specific resources for finding information?

There are many resources available, and the best one will depend on your specific research topic. However, some commonly used resources in the scientific community include PubMed, Google Scholar, and SciFinder.

5. Is there a proper way to cite the information I use?

Yes, it is essential to give credit to the original source of information you use. In scientific research, the preferred citation style is usually either APA or MLA. Make sure to follow the proper formatting guidelines for in-text citations and references.