Which calculator? Hp 50G vs Ti89 Titanium

In summary, the Ti89 is easier to use, has more available programs, and is easier to learn than the Hp50G.
George Jones said:

which is correct

which is incorrect.

Have you not yet been taught the conventional order of operations?

George Jones said:
Negation is an operation; it's an example of a unary operation.

No, according to the standard order of operations, -2^4 = 16.

There is no law that prohibits a company from marketing calculators or computer software (e.g, Microsoft Excel) that use a non-standard order of operations, but I think it is silly to do so.

This reminds me of a joke I once read. How many Microsoft employees does it take to change a burnt-out lightbulb? None. Microsoft declares darkness the standard.

A standard order of operstions aids communication; if everyone follows the standard, then everyone knows what a given expression means. In the standard order of operations, the power operation takes precedence over negation.

As an example, consider the equation

-x^2 + 16 = 0.

According to the standard order of operations, x = -4 and x = 4 are solutions to this equation. According to your non-standard order of operations, x = -4i and x = 4i are solutions to this equation, which seems quite bizarre.

I applaud TI for using the standard order of operations. Maple also follows the standard order of operstions and returns -2^4 = -16.

Agreed.

So, in the expression -2^4, -2 is not a number. What happened to the negative numbers? If negation is taken purely as an operation, then there are no such things as negative numbers. Whenever I encounter a number with a negative sign, I am to interprut it as a positive number with the negation operation applied? That is the conclusion your logic follows. I, for one, stand by the negative numbers.

In the equation -x^2+16=0, the - is understood to be -1 (- DOES NOT REPRESENT A NEGATION IN YOUR EXAMPLE). Read any elementary high school algebra text. So the equation actually reads -1*x^2+16=0. The solutions are x=4 and -4. This is quite different from -2^4, where -2 is a number. Your answer can only be derived if the expresion is rewritten as -(2^4). There is a big difference. It is not the order of operations you don't understand, it is the actual mathematical notation for which you have no grasp.

It is okay for TI and Maple to handle the expression the way the do, as long as it is documented.

And, for your infomration, I am following the ONLY order of operation.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
ugeminorum said:
So, in the expression -2^4, -2 is not a number. What happened to the negative numbers? If negation is taken purely as an operation, then there are no such things as negative numbers. Whenever I encounter a number with a negative sign, I am to interprut it as a positive number with the negation operation applied? That is the conclusion your logic follows. I, for one, stand by the negative numbers.

Wow!

In the equation -x^2+16=0, the - is understood to be -1 (- DOES NOT REPRESENT A NEGATION IN YOUR EXAMPLE). Read any elementary high school algebra text. So the equation actually reads -1*x^2+16=0. The solutions are x=4 and -4. This is quite different from -2^4, where -2 is a number. Your answer can only be derived if the expresion is rewritten as -(2^4). There is a big difference. It is not the order of operations you don't understand, it is the actual mathematical notation for which you have no grasp.

Do you really mean to argue that different orders of operations apply to -2^4 and -x^4?! This is what you're doing.

It is okay for TI and Maple to handle the expression the way the do, as long as it is documented.

The ultimate number crunching software, Fortran, also returns -2**4 = -16. The unary operation of negation is given the same precedence as the binary operation (subtraction) from which its is derived, i.e., -2**4 is the same as 0 - 2**4.

And, for your infomration, I am following the ONLY order of operation.

This is incorrect. There are many, many different orders of operations. We choose one order of operations as a communications aid.

My final argument by authority: I asked my wife, and she says that -2^4 = -16. If you want to start an argument by taking it up with her, good luck!

PS My wife has a bachelor's in physics, a master's in physics, and a master's in engineering.

George Jones said:
Wow!

Do you really mean to argue that different orders of operations apply to -2^4 and -x^4?! This is what you're doing.

The ultimate number crunching software, Fortran, also returns -2**4 = -16. The unary operation of negation is given the same precedence as the binary operation (subtraction) from which its is derived, i.e., -2**4 is the same as 0 - 2**4.

This is incorrect. There are many, many different orders of operations. We choose one order of operations as a communications aid.

My final argument by authority: I asked my wife, and she says that -2^4 = -16. If you want to start an argument by taking it up with her, good luck!

PS My wife has a bachelor's in physics, a master's in physics, and a master's in engineering.

NO. Do you understand that -x^4, as written, actually stands for -1*x^4. Go look at an actual mathematics book for reference. So, follow the order of operations; take the four power first, then multiply by -1. If you would like, consult ANY standard algebra text. Wikipedia is not an accepted scientific or mathematical reference, the last time I checked. When it is acceptable to quote from Wikipedia in referred papers, I'll reconsider my stand on this.

I don't consider Fortran to be a final arbiter in this matter, as it was designed for engineers. It also doesn't matter what programming language or brand of calculator does what. I am sure that they all account for their operations. Again, okay if defined up front.

Really, I thought we were talking of the only order of operations that is widely accepted among all Mathematicians when one is taling about the RING of real numbers.

Wouldn't want to argue with your boss. However, I actually have a bachelors degree and masters degree in Mathematics, the actual subject being discussed. I think I am qualified to speak on this topic. I don't think physics and engineering majors quite get into the foundations of Mathematics.

Last edited:
What the?

-2^4=(-2)(-2)(-2)(-2)=

Anyone?

This may be a long day

Phykick said:
-2^4=(-2)(-2)(-2)(-2)=

Anyone?

This may be a long day
ugeminorum has it right. the exponent 4 belongs to the 2. That part must be evaluated first. [tex] \[
- 2^4
\]
[/tex] indicates the negative of two to the fourth power; note no grouping symbols, so you do the exponentiation first.
[tex] \[
- 2^4 = - (2)(2)(2)(2)
\]
[/tex]

Post #13

I thought this was all just levity from all those involved...
The original was (-2)^4 way back in post #13
Please move on from this.

I found this forum looking for info about the HP 50g as my 48 has gone bad.

If anyone has more of the good, the bad and the ugly of the new flavor I would like to here from you.

My degree is in ARTHEYALLINSANEORISITME

Hey everyone, I've been trying to install the RPN program on my Ti-89 Titanium, and everytime I try to run it, the calculator freezes and I am forced to reset, anyone want to help me through this?

Ti-89 Ftw

Well, I personally use the Ti-Voyage 200. Its the most advanced thing Ti has got on the market. Thats your best bet for having the functions you want.

Well, I'm coming into the thread very late, but have a funny anecdote that might be worth sharing. Full disclosure: I've been an HP calculator fanatic for almost 20 years now and think RPN is the coolest thing since sliced bread, LOL.

Last year, I taught an undergrad class for the first time and had 37 junior and senior engineering students. Every single one of them used a TI-[whatever] and not a single one had an HP. Anyway, on their second exam, they had to solve an equation that took an entire line to write and had three square roots, two of them nested. As I graded it, I noticed that almost every single one of them screwed up punching it through their calculator. Turns out that 3/37 were able to do it without a mistake. Most of them were writing it out in 2-3 lines, etc. I knew I'd catch grief over that, so I punched it through using my HP48G calculator, which is of course RPL (like RPN). I did it three times in a row without an error, averaging 22 sec.! Of course, I had that ready for them the next class, LOL.

Granted, I was using my calculator when most of them were in preschool, but supposedly younger folks are better at newfangled gadgets, right?

It's hard to explain to non-RPN users why RPN is better, but it really is. I've never met anybody who gave it a fair try for 2-3 weeks who didn't switch over.

I agree. I have the hp 50g and am very happy with it, once I went rpn, I never went back.

Well, I did at times when the 50g's symbolic solving didn't sit so well with the professors, but honestly, it's one of the best investments I've ever made. I'd recommend it for people going into engineering.

HP50g

I've been using HP's for the last zillion years (or at least since the first HP 35). RPN, when I first met it was confusing but after 10 minutes or so playing with it, it made complete sense to me and I found it easy to use. I have been using HP calculators ever since. Despite my moniker, I'm a professional engineer and would not be without one.
The HP50g is my latest (the last, an HP48sx died on me last year after 20 years of faithful service) and so far the best calculator I have used.
If you like algebraic input, it does have it. Indeed the user manual gives many more examples on how to use algebraic mode than it gives for RPN mode.
My only complaint is that the user manual only brushes the surface of what it can do. The user manual that comes with the machine is some 880 pages long.
You can write some very sophisticated programmes using the built in RPL language but you must know RPN and how the stack operates to use it efficiently.
The ten or fifteen minutes you spend learning RPN is a real investment. Once you know how to use it, you'll never regret it!

sharp said:
Hey guys, I'm an actuary student and this semester my important math courses are Calculus 2 and Linear Algebra I besides financial math II. I also have calculus 3-4, Linear algebra II, Prob. I-II, and statistics I-II in my future.

Anyway I'm getting a calculator and I can't decide between the Hp50G and the Ti89. I like the infrared and sd flash ports on the hp but I've seen many claim that the 89 is easier to use. Another thing I've noticed is there are more programs available for the 89.

I'm sure most of you know exactly what to look for in a calc. Pleas help me out here, thanks.

Most Calculus courses won't let you use a calculator that perfoms integrals and differentials on exams. You might want to consider that before spending the $$ on either one...or check with your professor to see if they allow them.

Phykick said:
I thought this was all just levity from all those involved...
The original was (-2)^4 way back in post #13 Please move on from this.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of everyone, may I point out how this up how RPN is different?

IF you think the minus is part of the number (-2) you solve with: 2 +/- ENTER 4 y^x ...and get 16

BUT- if you decide the - is an operation, and to be done last, you enter: 2 ENTER 4 y^x +/- ...and get -16

The RPN makes no assumptions, it's up to YOU to enter the equation correctly. Whereas the TI made an assumption which sparked this lively debate.

While reading past posts, for some reason I kept thinking of the infamous question - the airspeed of an unladen swallow.
African or European ? (24 mph for European... http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/ )

ugeminorum said:
Apparently, you have not been taught order of operations. Or, more accurately, you have not been taught what is or is not an operation. There is only one operation in the given expression. That operation is the power operation. The base is negative 2.

You mistake the - sign as an operation. It is actually part of the number itself.

As written, the correct answer is 16. Raising a negative number to an even power ALWAYS results in a positive answer.

You should really get your math correct prior to posting.

Wow someone who got it right I think they are confusing Negative(which is a notation) with Minus(which is an operation). Negative means the number is sitting its value left on the number scale of the number 0. Minus means your doing an operation that will move the number to the left of where it is. -2 is a real number we know its the negative value because of the (-) in front of it. While (-1)(2)= -2 the -1*2 operation has already been completed. In the case of -X^4 the actually equation looks like this (-1)X^4 if the value of X was say -2 they the answer would be -16. If the equation was X^4 and the value of X is still -2 the answer is going to be 16.

Twisting The Topic a bit...

goodlun said:
Wow someone who got it right I think they are confusing Negative(which is a notation) with Minus(which is an operation).

Thank you for your kind words. These operations areindeed different- that's why they have different keys. +/- vs. -.
Without that key, the act of creating a -ve number is harder. If (-2) = (-1)(2) then how do you enter (-1)? The RPN would be:
0 ENTER 1 - *

In an effort to keep the thread moving- which keyboard do you prefer? I've heard people moan about the "feel" of keys, but I also mean the actual LAYOUT. I sure do miss the double-width ENTER key.
Personally, I'd prefer the ON and ALPHA keys be above the actual LCD, similar to my old favorite- the HP41 series. And the 4-way navigation buttons, while nice, take up too much keyboard space.

Comments? Suggestions? Comparisons to TI-89 ?

I've been a pretty big fan of the older HP calculators (meaning, up the HP 48 series). Many of the examples above explaining why RPN is better don't really capture why RPN truly is a better input method. Forget using nice, whole numbers. In the real world, the numbers we use are almost never that nice.

Suppose you need to work with the quantity, say, x=1.91872163435 (just made this up), and this number appears in your calculations more than once. To speed up entry AND to reduce the possibility of a typo when re-entering the quantity 'x', you may actually want to store this number in the variable 'x'. This takes a few extra keystrokes to do on most algebraic-entry machines, such as the TI89. On an RPN machine, you would simply enter the number once, and DUP (duplicate) it however many times you need to use the number.

Say I want to compute [(3*x+5)^(x-1)]/[(2+7.11)^(3/4)-1], you'd not only have to store the number 1.91872163435 into 'x' (again, to reduce error in inputting and save time), you would also need to close the parentheses in the proper manner so as to not cause problems with the order of operations. On a machine such as the HP48GX, presumably already be in the STACK menu (the '>' means the right arrow, which acts as the SWAP command on the HP48 series):

1.91872163435 ENTER ENTER 3 * 5 + > 1 - ^ 2 7.11 + 3 4 / ^ 1 - /

There is no need for parentheses. There is an added benefit, which many students often take for granted. RPN entry reinforces the order of operations. It is quite sad to see so many undergraduate students fail exams because they still have not mastered the order of operations. Even worse, many students don't realize why their calculator "gives them the wrong answers." RPN essentially forces you to know the rules.

Also, the newer HP50G has both RPN and algebraic entry built-in. Even the older HP48 series had both methods of entry (with algebraic entry requiring exactly one more key, the 'tic' mark, than any TI product).

SA Penguin said:
At the risk of incurring the wrath of everyone, may I point out how this up how RPN is different?

IF you think the minus is part of the number (-2) you solve with: 2 +/- ENTER 4 y^x ...and get 16

BUT- if you decide the - is an operation, and to be done last, you enter: 2 ENTER 4 y^x +/- ...and get -16

The RPN makes no assumptions, it's up to YOU to enter the equation correctly. Whereas the TI made an assumption which sparked this lively debate.

While reading past posts, for some reason I kept thinking of the infamous question - the airspeed of an unladen swallow.
African or European ? (24 mph for European... http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/ )

You are correct in that RPN makes no assumptions. And in this case, there are no assumptions to be made. In terms of the order of operations, there is NEVER supposed to be an assumption. When you see -2^4, the answer is unquestionably -16, and the reason for that is because exponentiation comes before negation (subtraction). On the other hand, (-2)^4 is 16. No mathematician ever writes -2^4 and expect positive 16. Mathematics is precise, and has precise rules. The only ambiguity here comes from not understanding the order of operations.

The TI's distinguis "negative" from "minus" -- this is truly detrimental to students who need to master the order of operations. By using a smaller hyphen for negative, and a longer hyphen for subtraction, the TI's are creating ambiguity for those who are unable to clearly distinguish the lengths of these hyphens. Moreover, they are encouraging poor notation, as students think it's ok to have "-2^4 = 16" because 1) their calculator seems do say so and 2) they can't see the difference between the "negative" hyphen and "minus" hyphen.

FrogPad said:
Ok I put RPN on my 89 and am trying to figure out what makes it so great.

Something I often do with my 89 is evaluate an expression for different values. Let me give an example:

Lets say you have (a+b)/b

Now I want to evaluate this at {a=1, b=2; a=2, b=1} for example:

with an 89 I can do,
(a+b)/b|a=1 and b=2

I can press enter and see a result,
now if I want to quickly change a number I go back to the result screen and press enter,
this comes up: (a+b)/b|a=1 and b=2

I then just change what I want by using the arrow keys,
(a+b)/b|a=2 and b=1

is there a quick way for evaluating expressions using RPN ?

You can write a quick program. And by program, I don't mean you even need to know how to program. The great thing about RPN on an HP48 or HP50 is that you basically write programs by pressing the same keys you'd use in normal operations. A program is encapsulated with << and >> symbols (easily accessed on the keyboard).

Imagine entering in the a and b values separately. If these were your only inputs, how would you compute this using RPN? With a stack, you'd see:

2: a
1: b

First DUP the value b (we'll use it later for dividing) to get:

3: a
2: b
1: b

Then ROT (rotate) the a value to get:

3: b
2: b
1: a

Then + to add, and / to get (a+b)/b.

Thus, to compute (a+b)/b, you would simply do:

<< DUP ROT + / >>

Store this as a variable, and it then becomes part of the variables menu. From this point on, you just enter in your a value, your b value, and press the variable menu key corresponding to your short program.

As another example, if you want to, say, add 10 numbers, you'd simply need:

<< + + + + + + + + + >>

Then you just input 10 numbers (enter all ten separated with space, if you wish) and then press the menu key corresponding to the variable under which you stored the program above.

In sum, the way you enter and compute using RPN converts directly into programs with little to no effort.

ugeminorum said:

Actually, your logic is flawed. If negation is taken purely as an operation, it does not follow that there are no such things as negative numbers. A number with a negative sign can indeed be interpreted as a positive number with a negation operation applied. In fact, this is an equivalent definition of a negative number.

ugeminorum said:

The irony here is that it is _you_ who do not understand mathematical notation. When one writes -2^4, it is ALWAYS understood to mean: 2 raised to the fourth power, then negated. This harks back to the equivalent definition of a negative number: -2^4 is the negation of 2^4. That is, -2^4 = -(2^4) as the parentheses here are redundant due to the order of operations. For -2^4, the order of operations say you exponentiate, and then negate. If you want "negative 2 raised to the fourth power" then you MUST use (-2)^4. Here, the 2 is first negated (hence the parentheses) and THEN exponentiated.

rs1n said:
Moreover, they are encouraging poor notation, as students think it's ok to have "-2^4 = 16" because 1) their calculator seems do say so and 2).

I don't know of any TI calculator that says or seems to indicate that -2^4=16.

bfr said:
I don't know of any TI calculator that says or seems to indicate that -2^4=16.

Yes, you can get -2^4 = 16 if you use type "negative 2 ^ 4" using the (-) key as opposed to the "minus" key. Otherwise, I have several defective TI-85's.

Well, I don't have a TI-85 nor an emulator to confirm that, but I do have a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, TI-86, Ti-89 Titanium, and a Voyage 200, and none of them will give me -2^4=16 by doing what you said. Maybe you're using an outdated operating system? The TI-85 itself is old anyway and is no longer really supported by TI. If it does really return 16, though, then that is pretty bad (I'm trying not to be biased towards TI calculators).

And, although I don't have a HP calculator to try RPN with, I did try an RPN calculator on the computer, and it didn't seem to be any faster. I probably have to get used to it, but still, it didn't seem like I was pressing less buttons or it was any more efficient. The way expressions are entered in TI calculators is also more similar how they would be written down on paper, which consequently would probably make it easier to copy expressions from a textbook or something. Also, note that there are programs for TI calculators that let expressions be entered in RPN..

Maybe I just don't how to use RPN efficiently and am not putting it to its potential, but I've read a lot about it and have experimented with it, and it didn't seem to be that good. Or, again, maybe I just need more experience with it.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, this does not show up in any of the recent TI calculators -- which is great. In that light, I don't have a problem with the distinction between (-) and - anymore with the TIs.

Regarding the book-like entry method, the HP48 (now more than 15 years old?) had the ability to enter in equations just like shown in the textbook via the Equation Writer. Granted, it is extremely slow compared to more modern calculators, but in the HP50G it should just as quick as competing models.

It's hard to get a good feel for RPN on a computer or emulator, in my opinion. The main reason is that you're using a computer keyboard for entry, which is MUCH easier to use than a custom (and to some, tiny) keyboard.

Regarding programs that enable RPN -- I think that's fantastic. However, I usually evaluate calculators based on their factory settings. With added software, it seems reasonable to assume that with enough memory, any calculator can be made equal to a competing model. The HP50G uses SD cards with capacities of up to 2 gigabytes. Its specs are at least comparable to any competing model. So one could argue that anything it lacks can be made up through software additions.

Back to RPN -- the main reason I support RPN is that it reinforces the order of operations. It is quite disappointing to see incoming undergraduates continually make mistakes having to do with order of operations. One would think that with that much education, something as basic as middle school mathematics should be mastered at that point.

An aside, but perhaps relevant to undergraduate math skills. I've met 3rd yrs who seem to have very poor English comprehension. I was asked once by such a student if I knew the difference between a noun and a verb. I didn't know what to say. In the end I said little, but I was thinking "it's probably a bit late now, dude, what do you expect me to tell you?"...

Education at the high school level appears to be slowly going down the tubes.

RPN is generally a lot fewer keystrokes and you keep an intermediate result, so you can look at the first part of some eqn. or formula and see if it looks like what it should, etc. Stack-based calculating just seems more natural somehow, once you get the hang of it (which took me about a day when I got my first HP calc, well, a few hours over the course of a day).

Last edited:
Hello! I am a sophmore year EE student who was in the same dillema as the OP. I went with the HP 50g. Now when people say you can't go wrong with the ti 89 they are absolutely correct. They are widely used and easy to figure out how to use. Now I was very excited about getting the HP 50g. I took a chance and said everyone has a 89 but i hear the hps are very good. And this time i was right. The RPN took me a day or two to get used to and now i never go back. Its faster and i have made very little typing errors. I got a 104 on my Circuit analyasis test thanks to this calculator. It was the highest grade in the class and the class avrege was 64. Ofcourse i studied a lot but without the calculator i would be trying to solve 3 variable linear complex number equations. And recently i found that this CAN DO LAPLACE TRANSFORMATIONS! the ti 89 CANNOT (theres plenty of software that allows it to do). And as an EE Laplace transforms will be a big part of my life. I hope this helped.

You can't go wrong buying either calculator. If you are lazy and don't want to do a lot of research finding how to work the HP 50g go for the ti 89. But if your wanting to get a little more of your calculator right off the box HP 50g might be the one for you.

Also the equation writer is very user friendly and makes plugging in long equations simple and easy to proofread.

P.S. For the budding CS student: there's a HPGCC cross-devel. platform for the HP calcs, so you can write your own OS, or turn your HP50 into a web browser, or lab instrument, or whatever. Haven't looked at what the TI has available...

Ti has TIGCC and http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_sdk_89_92p.html [Broken] for C programming. There are also other languages to program (besides that built-in on-calculator programming languages) such as TI-Power and the Multi-Platform Langauge for Calculators, which also works on some Casio calculators as well. And then, there is of course assembly, which their are multiple assemblers for that are specifically designed for TI-calculator programming - TASM, SPASM, Brass, DASM, and OTBP Assembler (which is an on-calculator assembler, so you can program in assembly directly on your calculator without having to type in hex codes).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ti-89 may be easier to use at first. I have use HP calculators for years (1988)
I own 2 HP48SX, 1 HP48GX, 1 HP49G+ (a keyboard weenie), and I just ordered the
HP50G for my daughter. This calc is the keyboard fix for the 49G+.

Some schools and professors exclude the TI-89 use from tests.
My profs do not not know the POWER of the HP50.

The HP manual is not very good. But the google group comp.sys.hp48
and the www.hpcalc.org is the saving grace for calc. nubies
Many program available for download and best to use the SD ram card because
the computer connection is not easy to use.

You must struggle though the manual before asking questions.

The HP50 can work in ALG and RPN. I prefer RPN it is intuitive to the way I do math.

Programming is easy and the a much more powerful calculator.
BUT you must do some work to master it.
I found it worth the effort.
_________
Merry Christmas,

David

You've narrowed your list to two very good choices. Here is my take on your choice.

1. I have owned both. I still own the hp. I sold the ti to a physics teacher and she is very pleased with it.
  2. Each has its strengths (e.g. the ti does implicit differentiation with less hassle than the hp; one the other hand, the hp has stronger statistical functions).
  3. The hp is easier to program.
  4. The hp has a steeper learning curve.
  5. Once you know RPN you'll never want to use anything else on a calculator.

To sum things up, both are very good machines. I recommend the hp because of its greater flexibility.

Regards,

Phil

The Best of Both Worlds ...

I've had both HP50 and TI89. I did a lot of testing. Operations, Performance, Ease of Use. The best of both worlds is to run a modified OS on the TI89 that gives you all features as RPN. You get the extra performance of the TI89 (yes, it is faster!). And with the RPN interface data entry with the TI89 is much, much easier than the HP50.

RPN or Algebraic Notation

Thought I'd throw in my two cents worth...

Calculators first started appearing back when I was attending Junior High School. My first calculator was a 4-banger purchased for $70 and all it did was add, subtract, multiply and divide and was larger in size then the HP-50g. I think it had a % function too but that was it. The first calculator how-to books taught one how to obtain the square root of a number just using those basic functions. My next calculator was a more advanced Rockwell scientific and then, a programmable TI 49 or something. I was in heaven! Then I purchased a used TI 51 or 52 that allowed one to pass a magnetic card through to load a program into the calculator or store a program onto the card. The TI 48 got me through High School but after starting College, I purchased an HP-15c Scientific Programmable and in minutes after learning RPN, I was sold. I'm now semi-retired and have just sold that HP-15C for around 3 times its original purchased price. I used it almost daily and it still functions perfectly as it makes its trip to India halfway around the world to a young math student. I've just replaced it with an HP 35s. The 35s allows RPN or Algebraic notation and after playing with the algebraic for a while, I found myself becoming totally frustrated and switching back to RPN.

So, this is a story about a guy who grew up using algebraic notation for years and leaving it behind forever in favor of RPN.

Enough said...

;)

P.S. That HP-15c helped make me quite a few $$$ throughout the years.
Thank you Hewlett Packard...

HP vs. TI vs. ?

I would like to present a fairly simple programming exercise that involves the Pythagorean theorem h = sqrt{x^2 + y^2}. H being equal to the length of the hypotenuse, x and y are the lengths of the other two sides. I will start everyone off with let's say 1000 points and make deductions based on total program lines, incorrect answers, and the number of keystrokes made external to the program itself. I will also deduct points for the order in which your results are returned to me. The first person returning their results gets no deductions. 2nd in loses 1 point, 3rd in loses 2 points and ect. I wrote a program on my HP-35s in 5 to 10 minutes and it took me around an hour to acquire the complete x,y,h data set. Your response back to me will be an email including:

1) your name (handle) used here in this forum
2) the make and model of the calculator you are using
3) the complete program you created for your particular calculator (numbered line by line)
4) a brief explanation of keystrokes external to the program needed to execute it
5) and last the compete listing of the data set

If there are no objections by the owner of this forum, then go ahead and send an email to me at rvdude@frontiernet.net stating that you want in. I will wait one week to give everyone a chance to enter who's interested and then say at exactly 6PM Arizona time on Monday the 25th of February, I will post the complete instructions of this exercise on this forum and it will end in one week or immediately after receiving the the last of all the entries. When you complete the exercise, email the results back to me at the address above, I will grade them and send all who've entered a copy of everyone's results. (should be interesting)

Good luck to all those who choose to participate and may the force be with you! (had to throw that one in, and I've dated myself...)

Ah, possibly the greatest question ever posed...TI-89T or HP50G.

I just happen to own both! Well, I am a physics major, and I was taking the typical Univ. Phys II course (Basic E/M, some thermo) and had decided it was long time I replaced my TI-84S with something a little more meatier. In high school, my friend had owned a 48GII (Actually, a series of three, as they broke and were [rapidly I might add!] replaced by HP) for two years and swore by the thing. I had grabbed it from him once, but had no experience with RPN or these strange fangled soft menus. I was in lust.

For two years the thought of an HP fermented in my head. When starting Physics II, I went out around town looking for a 50G, though I was largely undecided between the it and the 89T. I was moving soon and online purchases were out of the question. (Moving across the nation) I ended up happily picking up the 89T. I was elated! This thing was great! It was superior in entry, display, power, and everyday usage than the 84S by miles. I used it every day. TIBasic was easy to use, though a little different than on the 84S. (TI-Basic was my first programming language, and thus TI has forever a place in my heart. I now write C++/C code for money. C# for fun!) I think TI-Basic is a nice entry into programming if at a high-school or even college level so desired.

As I said I did always regret not getting an HP, and so in the second half of my sophomore year I decided to shell out the last of my student loan to purchase one. I happened upon it by chance, during a bored walkthrough of BestBuy...and there it was, looking me in the face. $20 overpriced, but glorious. I bought it.

I've had it for a month now, and am NEVER going to look back from RPN. When forced to use a friends ALG calc I find myself confused and frustrated for a minute, before I remember that I have to use parenthesis! Soft menu's make checking an integral a one button process, or taking factorials over and over, or seeing all my variables easily and accessing them quickly.

Why the HP50G is better than the TI89T:

The biggest advantage in my opinion is RPN. Writing out very complicated or tedious equations is almost foolproof. You can't know until you experience it.

Another nice thing over the 89T is I find the functions and superfunctions on keys are MUCH easier to read than the 89T's. On the 50G, the colors are white, yellow, and orange on a black background. The 89T uses light green, light blue, and silver on a grey background. What the hell TI!? I've had this thing for a year and a half and still have to search for blue superfunctions and silver letters. The green is only used about ten times. (Which, to me, seems wasted.) The buttons on the HP are stiffer and feel sturdier than the 89T's, though the 89T's are not really flawed.

The screen on the HP has better contrast and I find it much easier to read at an angle (like on a table next to your textbook) than the TI's. The TI tends to get garbled when viewing from much of an angle.

A freaking SD card slot! 2GB of memory! Whoa!

You will feel like the world's most awesome powernerd with this sexy device. It looks bad ass.

Some points for the TI:

One thing I have noticed is that when you do make a mistake in RPN mode, say 8 calculations back, you are screwed. To clarify: Nothing is on the stack, everything has been operated upon leaving you with a number. Then you realize, crap, that should have been e^-x not e^x. On my TI, you just flip up the history, copy it, and change x to -x. ( (-x) people!) Enter and BOOM! done. On the HP you pretty much just start the calculation over. There may be a way around this, as I am still learning the features in RPN mode. If anyone can do this, I would like to know how.

There is a huge and constantly growing library of applications for the TI89T, and sadly the library for the HP50G is much smaller. I have not yet had the pleasure of programming in SysRPL (One of the 50G languages.) but I shall do so this weekend! (I desire a turn-based wargame for the 50G.)

With the 50G, you get a leather case. It's really quite nice! However, smashed between some textbooks, buttons can be pressed, by chance turning your calculator on, wasting batteries. TI's have a spartan but effective hard plastic case. Importantly though, this has only happened once, when my calculator ended up on the bottom of a lot of weight. It has never happened just sitting in my backpack running around campus.

Some maybe-not-so moot points:

Who gives a crap if it takes 4 seconds vs. 1 second to do anything. Sure, if the TI took a minute to do something that takes an instance on the HP I would nag about it, but that is almost no difference at all. This could only really happen when running a program or using the CAS for a tricky problem--Speaking of CAS, however, the integrals and derivatives I've taken on both lead me to believe the CAS of both calc's is very strong. I believe the HP's is much easier to use with the VX + soft menu setup. Operations are one button away! I don't know which is really stronger because I do all my Calc/DiffEq the the best calculator...good ol' No. 2. Having Laplace Transforms is a HUUUUUUUUGE advantage for the HP though. Seriously. You never need a table again.

Some people might not care, but in the end I felt like my TI is this really great tool, which I can crank things out on, etc. The HP feels "cooler" and feels like an extension of myself. RPN is very similar to how one thinks when solving a problem. It's physical and software layout makes it seem more like a serious machine than the TI.In the end, if you just want a calculator for class that is great and easy to use with tons of support, go with the TI89T. It's serious about what it does.

If you are like me, someone who maybe likes calculators a little too much...who gets permission to take advanced classes, likes to think about problems, and attends colloquiums, then slap on a giant grin and go out and buy that sweet calculating machine known as the HP50G.

Either calculator is awesome. Ask a professor if you can use his HP48, (Because, that is what he will have.) and see how you like it. You can borrow the TI89T from your friendly social science major. You decide.

Last edited:
<h2>1. Which calculator is better for advanced mathematical functions?</h2><p>The HP 50G and the TI89 Titanium are both excellent calculators for advanced mathematical functions. However, the HP 50G has a larger library of built-in functions and supports more complex calculations, making it the better choice for advanced math.</p><h2>2. Which calculator has a better user interface?</h2><p>The TI89 Titanium has a more user-friendly interface compared to the HP 50G. It has a larger screen with a higher resolution, making it easier to view and input equations. It also has a more intuitive menu system, making it easier to navigate and access functions.</p><h2>3. Which calculator is better for programming?</h2><p>The HP 50G has a more powerful programming language and a larger memory capacity, making it the better choice for programming. It also has a built-in RPL programming language, which is more versatile and efficient compared to the TI89 Titanium's BASIC language.</p><h2>4. Which calculator has a longer battery life?</h2><p>The HP 50G has a longer battery life compared to the TI89 Titanium. It uses four AAA batteries, which can last for several months with regular use. The TI89 Titanium, on the other hand, uses four AAAA batteries, which may need to be replaced more frequently.</p><h2>5. Which calculator is more affordable?</h2><p>The TI89 Titanium is generally more affordable compared to the HP 50G. However, the HP 50G offers more features and capabilities, making it a better long-term investment for those who need advanced mathematical functions and programming capabilities.</p>

1. Which calculator is better for advanced mathematical functions?

The HP 50G and the TI89 Titanium are both excellent calculators for advanced mathematical functions. However, the HP 50G has a larger library of built-in functions and supports more complex calculations, making it the better choice for advanced math.

2. Which calculator has a better user interface?

The TI89 Titanium has a more user-friendly interface compared to the HP 50G. It has a larger screen with a higher resolution, making it easier to view and input equations. It also has a more intuitive menu system, making it easier to navigate and access functions.

3. Which calculator is better for programming?

The HP 50G has a more powerful programming language and a larger memory capacity, making it the better choice for programming. It also has a built-in RPL programming language, which is more versatile and efficient compared to the TI89 Titanium's BASIC language.

4. Which calculator has a longer battery life?

The HP 50G has a longer battery life compared to the TI89 Titanium. It uses four AAA batteries, which can last for several months with regular use. The TI89 Titanium, on the other hand, uses four AAAA batteries, which may need to be replaced more frequently.

5. Which calculator is more affordable?

The TI89 Titanium is generally more affordable compared to the HP 50G. However, the HP 50G offers more features and capabilities, making it a better long-term investment for those who need advanced mathematical functions and programming capabilities.