Understanding the Fundamentals of Charge and Electric Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding concepts in physics, specifically in regards to electrical circuits and charge. The speaker is struggling to define charge and understand how it generates a force. They also have other questions and are seeking a simple explanation. The expert provides a summary of the properties of charge, including its absolute nature and quantization. They also explain how charges can cause movement in conductors and the concept of net charge. The expert acknowledges that there are still unanswered questions about why charges exert forces and why there are only two kinds of charge.
Jack123
Hello... I've just recently started studying physics for my A levels and i am finding its concepts very hard to get a handle on :frown: .

One major area I am having problems with is my definitions of some of the fundamental properties of electrical circuits. For example i find charge very hard to define.

I am of course aware that opposite charges repel and like charges attract, but is one area of charge relative to another i.e. if you have an area of charge and an another area of charge which is more negative does that infer a positive charge upon the first. I am also unable to understand how/why a difference in charge generates a force (e.g. the attraction and repulsion of static charges)

I have other questions, but if you could answer these first i would be very grateful :smile:.

(Could you also explain in a simple as way as possible, i have viewed some other posts and find them very hard to follow, thanks)

Physics news on Phys.org
[Charge is absolute, not relative, and it is quantized, which means it comes in multiples of some small amount of charge. A negative charge is a negative charge and a positive charge is a positive charge. In most cases of interest, the charges that caue the effects we are familiar with are the negative charge of the electron, and the equal but opposite positive charge of the proton.

There are many things related to charges and their movement that are relative, but not the charges themselves. A concentration of one kind of charge near a neutral conductor will cause the charges in the conductor to move so that the side of the conductor near the outside charge has a net charge of opposite sign to the outside charge, while the other side of the conductor has a net charge of the same sign as the outside charge. Although overall the conductor is still neutral it will be attracted to the outside charge because the opposite charges are closer together than the like charges. If the conductor touches the outside charge, or a spark is created, the conductor will no longer be neutral. It will either gain some of the outside charges, or lose some of the opposite charges that had built up at one side. An object can be more positive or more negative than another object, and it can behave differently depending on what kind of charge it is near. The net charge of an object can be changed by adding or taking away some of its charge, but at anyone time the net charge on the object is either positive, or negative, or neutral

Why charges exert forces on one another at all, and why there are only two kinds of charge, are some of the great questions physicists have grappled with since charge was discovered. These are important questions, but you already have a great deal to learn about how charges behave given the observations that they do exist, do exert attractive and repulsive forces on one another, and come in two different varieties,

Last edited:

Hello, and welcome to the world of physics! It is completely normal to find concepts in physics difficult to understand at first, but with practice and perseverance, you will be able to develop a better understanding of these fundamental principles.

To start, let's define charge. Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical energy that an object possesses. It is measured in units of Coulombs (C) and can be either positive or negative. Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other. This is known as the Law of Electric Charges.

Now, let's address your question about the relative charge between two areas. In a closed system, the total amount of charge remains constant. This means that if one area has a negative charge, the other area must have an equal amount of positive charge. So, in a sense, the charges are relative to each other.

As for how a difference in charge generates a force, this is due to the electric field. When two charged objects are near each other, they create an electric field that exerts a force on each other. The strength of this force depends on the amount of charge and the distance between the objects.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. It is important to keep in mind that these concepts may seem abstract at first, but with practice and real-world examples, they will become clearer. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek additional resources to aid in your understanding. Good luck with your studies!

What is a fundamental definition?

A fundamental definition is a basic and essential explanation or description of a concept, principle, or term. It serves as the foundation for understanding more complex ideas and theories.

Why are fundamental definitions important?

Fundamental definitions are important because they provide a clear and concise understanding of a concept, which helps to avoid confusion and misunderstandings. They also serve as a starting point for further exploration and research.

How are fundamental definitions different from other definitions?

Fundamental definitions are different from other definitions because they focus on the core meaning and essence of a concept, rather than providing specific details or examples. They are also universal and applicable to all contexts, unlike specific definitions that may vary depending on the subject or field.

Are fundamental definitions subject to change?

Yes, fundamental definitions can change over time as new information and discoveries are made. They are not set in stone and may be revised or expanded to better reflect our understanding of a concept.

What is the process for creating a fundamental definition?

The process for creating a fundamental definition involves researching and analyzing the core elements and principles of a concept, consulting with experts in the field, and refining the definition to be clear, accurate, and comprehensive. It may also involve comparing and contrasting with other similar definitions to ensure consistency and accuracy.