What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and g-forces?

In summary, when asked to express the answer in terms of g, it means to divide the result by the acceleration due to Earth's gravity. The resulting unit would be in "g". This allows for easier comparison with other accelerations, such as centripetal acceleration, which can also be expressed in terms of g.
MattsVai
I am just wondering what is exactly expected when asked "express the answer in terms of g, (acceleration due to Earth's gravity). I am thinking it means divide the result by 9.8N? What is the resulting unit?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, if you are doing calculations which deal with acceleration due to gravity, instead of putting 9.8 into g in your equations, you simply leave it as g.

So, if you have a formula like mgh = 1/2 mv^2 and you plug in all of your numbers, you would leave your asnwer as something like "5.1g"

So really, if you assumed that you were on the surface of the Earth in the problem and you put in 9.8m/s^2 for g, you would divide out 9.8m/s^2 from your answer and replace it with g.

The reason why they may want you to have it in terms of g, is to make it more versatile.

Ahhhhh... thanks a bunch! Makes sense :)

But, what if my equation does not contain any "g" in the formula? Would I then simply divide the final answer by 9.8?

Sorry... u answered that! I'm just spaced out... thanks again :)

If you do not have a g anywhere in any of your formulas or equations, you have set up, you would NOT have a g in your answer. It would be pointless.

What I said earlier was that if you already have 9.8 in or whatever, then you can still take it out later.

Glad I could help.

But my question is asking to calculate centripetal acceleration (Ac = 4PI^2rf^2) and to express that in terms of g. How would that make sense?

MattsVai said:
But my question is asking to calculate centripetal acceleration (Ac = 4PI^2rf^2) and to express that in terms of g. How would that make sense?
It makes sense because it allows us to compare other accelerations to the familiar experience of weight. Pilots in high performance jets experience very high centripetal forces in tight turns. It is common to express these forces as "g-forces", and they can run up to 7 to 8 times their weight. They wear special suits to keep the blood from draining out of their heads, and still black out if they stay in such a turn for long. A force of n "Gees" corresponds to an acceleration of a = n*g.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that studies matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. What are the basic concepts in physics?

The basic concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, and matter. These concepts are used to explain and predict the behavior of objects at different scales, from the subatomic level to the vastness of the universe.

3. What are the fundamental forces in physics?

The fundamental forces in physics are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces are responsible for all interactions between matter and are crucial to understanding the behavior of the universe.

4. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics refers to the theories and principles developed before the 20th century and are based on Newton's laws of motion and classical mechanics. Modern physics encompasses the theories and principles developed in the 20th century and beyond, including quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. How is physics related to other sciences?

Physics is closely related to other sciences, such as chemistry, biology, and astronomy. Many of the principles and laws in these fields are based on the fundamental concepts of physics. For example, understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemistry relies on the principles of quantum mechanics.