Drag racing (a symbolic power problem)

In summary, the problem involves a dragster of mass m racing a distance d from a dead stop, with a constant instantaneous power P provided by the engine. By using the equations P=Fv and F=ma, the final equation t = (m*a*d)/P was derived. However, the correct solution involves incorporating integration and considering that power is the change in energy per unit time. The final solution is t = ((3d/2)^(2/3))((m/2P)^(1/3)).
OVB

Homework Statement

A dragster of mass m races another a distance d from a dead stop. Assume a constant instaneous power P for the entire race (provided by engine) and the dragster is like a particle. Find the elapsed time for the race.

Homework Equations

Well, P = Fv is needed for this I know, and F = ma and v = d/t

so P = (m*a*d)/t

and Pt = m*a*d

so t = (m*a*d)/P

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I thought that the final equation was enough, but evidently there is some manipulating of variables that I am oblivious to, because hte back of the book says t = ((3d/2)^(2/3))((m/2P)^(1/3)).

I have no idea where a cube or cube root would come into play in determining the time. I have a feeling there is some integration involved, but how would a work integral give me what the book says?

So you now know I am not looking for an answer, but a method. (Judging by the fact that these conditions have been mandated for the first time I have seen them, I'm guessing people were just trying to get easy answers. I just want to learn the problem solving technique from the pros.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration will be required. Also, you need to go one step back from P = Fv to see where that relationship comes from and decide if it is valid in your problem.

Another approach would be to remember that power is change in energy per unit time. So the change in energy per time is constant in this problem.

1. What is drag racing?

Drag racing is a type of motor racing in which two vehicles compete to be the first to reach the finish line. It typically takes place on a straight, level track and involves high-performance cars or motorcycles.

2. What is meant by "symbolic power problem" in drag racing?

The symbolic power problem in drag racing refers to the social and cultural implications of the sport. It addresses issues of gender, race, and class and how they are represented and reinforced within the drag racing community.

3. How does drag racing impact the environment?

Drag racing can have a significant impact on the environment due to the emission of pollutants from high-performance vehicles. However, many drag racing organizations have implemented measures to reduce their environmental footprint, such as using alternative fuels and promoting eco-friendly practices.

4. What safety precautions are taken in drag racing?

Safety is a top priority in drag racing, and there are strict regulations in place to ensure the well-being of drivers and spectators. This includes vehicle inspections, safety gear for drivers, and safety barriers along the track. There are also rules and penalties for reckless driving and other unsafe behavior.

5. How has technology influenced drag racing?

Technology has played a significant role in the evolution of drag racing. It has led to the development of more powerful and efficient engines, improved safety measures, and advanced timing and measurement systems. It has also allowed for better data collection and analysis, leading to improvements in vehicle performance and race strategies.