Was Einstein Wrong? Check Out The NY Times Article

• Thread starter lockecole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary: Different lightspeed could mean different distances between galaxies, and different amounts of dark matter. So far, the evidence for this variation is circumstantial. But it's definitely something to explore further.In summary, there are multiple papers that suggest that the speed of light may have been variable in the past. This could explain some of the current cosmological effects, such as the accelerating universe.
just a small side thought...when Einstein made his first in home weekly calender, he forgot saturday. he told people he liked friday so much that he wanted two of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by kinnabird5
just a small side thought...when Einstein made his first in home weekly calender, he forgot saturday. he told people he liked friday so much that he wanted two of them.

Maybe HE was the first one to yell "Thank God It's Friday!" :)

He probably said that right before the God-Dice thing... OK, I think I need to cut back on my caffine intake.

Zz.

Originally posted by ZapperZ
Hi Integral...

Not to drag this thing longer than it should, but in the March 2004 issue of the APS News (starting on pg. 4), there are 4 separate letters responding to Millikan's 1949 tribute to Einstein. Each one of them questioned Millikan's assertion that Einstein either knew, or were significantly influenced by the MM experiment in his formulation of Special Relativity. There appears to be a unanimous agreement, at least in this issue, that at best, MM experiment played no significant role in SR's formulation.

There are also descriptions on why the 1905 SR paper was significant, but that's a separate issue than what I want to emphasize here. :)

Zz.

It could very well be that Einstein's original paper was written as a response solely to Maxwell's prediction. Even without Michelson's failure to detect an ether experimentally, Maxwell's prediction shook the foundations of Physics. After all, it is WHY Michelson and Morley performed their experiment.