Extreme lt. wt. non conductive materials

• Thread starter pablo222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary: They are lightweight but very rigid. They can be molded into any shape and are easily cut with a hacksaw. They also have good thermal conductivity.
pablo222
I am looking for extreme light weight electrically non conductive materials which also has some thermal resistance as well.
I am building a High voltage generator of 250,000+ volts at 50ma
I am needing to shield the applicational machinery and computers where I have very low weight bearing ability over the machery structure do to design and mobility issues.
I have been out of the loop concerning the advancement of non conductive materials. Therefore I am asking those here if they can give a list of what they know which will fit this requirement.
The material must be either flexable but strong or be able to be molded into required shapes.
I have rejected fiberglass as being too heavy.
Any Suggestions?

pablo222
:cool:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, why does it have to be light weight?

It just has to be. Brass is way way to heavy.

The application is a trade issue and can not be disclosed. However, I am looking for light weight non conductive materials.

But think of it this way. Even space vehicles have weight limits. Though this application has nothing to do with the areospace industry, the lighter this can be made the better. Like all products from most industries lighter and/ or cheaper is the way things are.

Thus I am looking for lighter. This application has been built with fiberglass. But it needs to be lighter. How much lighter is the key. There are products which are lighter but may be too expensive. However, new products are created every year. Thus reason I am asking here and to several material industrial supply companies. But Material suppliers do not always tell you what you want to know. Their goal is to sell you what they have in their stock not necessarily what is best for the project.

pablo222
:cool:

You might look into expanded closed cell foams of polypropylene or polyethylene.

What are extreme lightweight non-conductive materials made of?

Extreme lightweight non-conductive materials are typically made of lightweight polymers, such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, or Kevlar. These materials are known for their strength and low weight, making them ideal for use in extreme environments.

What are the properties of extreme lightweight non-conductive materials?

Extreme lightweight non-conductive materials have a variety of properties, including high strength-to-weight ratio, low density, and resistance to electricity and heat. They are also often flexible and durable, making them suitable for a range of applications.

What are the potential uses for extreme lightweight non-conductive materials?

Extreme lightweight non-conductive materials have many potential uses, including in aerospace and defense industries, as well as in consumer products such as sports equipment and electronics. They are also commonly used in construction and automotive industries.

How are extreme lightweight non-conductive materials tested for safety?

Extreme lightweight non-conductive materials undergo rigorous testing to ensure their safety. This includes tests for strength, durability, and resistance to extreme conditions. They must also meet industry standards and regulations before they can be used in commercial applications.

Are there any drawbacks to using extreme lightweight non-conductive materials?

While extreme lightweight non-conductive materials have many benefits, they also have some drawbacks. These materials can be expensive to produce and may not be suitable for all applications. Additionally, they may be more prone to damage and require specialized handling and care.