How do I calculate the distance of the ∞-norm between two vectors in lR^3?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance of the ∞-norm between two vectors in lR^3. The correct method is to first find the difference between the vectors and then apply the norm. This is the definition of a normed distance in any metric space. The distance between two vectors u and v is given by ||u-v|| in any norm.
Mindscrape
Alright, so if I want to find the distance of the ∞-norm between two vectors in lR^3, then would I take the max of the vectors first and then subtract, or should I subtract the vectors and then take the max? I think that the vectors are subtracted, and then the norm is taken, but I just want to make sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have it correct: find the difference, then apply the norm. This is the definition of a normed distance (i.e., that is how you calculate the distance in any metric space where distance is defined by some norm on the space).

In fact, in any norm, the distance between two vectors u and v is given by ||u- v||.

What is the distance of infinity norm?

The distance of infinity norm, also known as the maximum norm or supremum norm, is a mathematical concept used to measure the size or magnitude of a vector in a given space. It represents the largest absolute value among all the elements in the vector.

How is the distance of infinity norm calculated?

The distance of infinity norm is calculated by taking the absolute value of each element in the vector and then finding the maximum value among them.

What is the significance of the distance of infinity norm?

The distance of infinity norm is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to measure the error or deviation of a solution from its true value. It is also used to define the convergence of a sequence or series.

How does the distance of infinity norm differ from other norms?

The distance of infinity norm is the largest among all the norms, while other norms such as the L1 norm and L2 norm consider the sum of absolute values and the square root of the sum of squared values, respectively. Additionally, the distance of infinity norm is insensitive to outliers, making it useful in certain applications.

Can the distance of infinity norm be used in any vector space?

Yes, the distance of infinity norm can be used in any vector space, as long as the vector elements are real numbers. It is also applicable to infinite-dimensional vector spaces.