Histogram of Sinusoid: Is it the Same as PDF?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between the histogram and probability density function of a sinusoid, as well as the importance of standardizing the histogram for accurate representation. It was also mentioned that the number of bins used can affect the accuracy of the histogram in approximating the true underlying pdf.
X1088LoD
I am looking at values of a sinusoid, y = A sin(2*Pi*f*t), oscillating between A and -A at a frequency of 25 Hz over 0.650 milliseconds.

If I find the histogram of the sinusoid, is this the same thing as the probability density function of that sinusoid? If this is not the case, what does the histogram represent in terms of statistical analysis?

I appreciate it.

~ Brent Ellis

Physics news on Phys.org
The histogram is a representation of the probability density function. If you get it by some experimental menas, it is an approximation. If you get it from theory, then it will be exact if you don't average over intervals (sorting into bins is what a histogram usually refers to).

so let's say I got my data by means of measurements, 4096 data points total, then i sort them into histogram form

If each bin is represented by 1 value, If I divide each point by 4096, would that normalize the plot into the actual (approximation) PDF?

If the data you have collected is continuous, which i think is the case, then you can't let one bin represent one value, it has to be a range of values. The smaller the range of values, or the larger the number of bins you use, the closer you will get to approximating the true underlying pdf. Of course, the histogram has to be standardized so that the y-axis represents a proportion of observations per bin, so divide the frequencies of each bin by 4096.

1. What is a histogram of sinusoid?

A histogram of sinusoid is a graphical representation of the distribution of a sinusoidal signal. It shows the frequency of occurrence of different amplitudes of the signal, allowing for a visual understanding of the pattern and shape of the signal.

2. How is a histogram of sinusoid different from a probability density function (PDF)?

A histogram of sinusoid is a representation of the distribution of a specific signal, while a PDF is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a random variable taking on a certain value. In other words, a histogram shows the observed frequencies of a signal, while a PDF shows the theoretical probabilities of a random variable.

3. Can a histogram of sinusoid be used to determine the frequency of a signal?

Yes, a histogram of sinusoid can be used to determine the frequency of a signal. The shape of the histogram will show the dominant frequency components of the signal, making it a useful tool for analyzing the frequency content of a signal.

4. What information can be obtained from a histogram of sinusoid?

A histogram of sinusoid can provide information about the amplitude, frequency, and distribution of a signal. It can also reveal any patterns or anomalies in the signal, making it a useful tool for data analysis and signal processing.

5. How is a histogram of sinusoid created?

To create a histogram of sinusoid, the signal is first sampled and the amplitude values are binned into different ranges. The frequency of occurrence of each amplitude range is then plotted on a histogram, with the x-axis representing the amplitude values and the y-axis representing the frequency of occurrence.