What is the Moment of Inertia for a Rectangle?

In summary: The parallel axis theorem states that if I_x=I_0+mx^2, then x is the distance of the shifted axis from the axis of the center of mass. So in this case, x would be the distance between the parallel axis and the axis of the centroid.
rcmango

Homework Statement

heres a very messy drawing for an idea of what were looking at: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1764/untitledyi0.png

area moment of inertia Ix0 of a rectangle about the axis x0 that passes through the centroid is: Ix = 1/12bh^3

the moment of inertia about an axis x that is parallel to the x0 is given by: Ix = Ix0 + Ad^2x

where A is the area of the rectangle, and dx is the distance between the two axes.

the inputs are width w, height h, and thickness t.

w = 200mm h = 300 mm, and t = 22mm

find the moment of inertia:

Homework Equations

Ix0 = 1/12bh^3

Ix = Ix0 + Ad^2x

The Attempt at a Solution

my questions are..

is t the what plugs into b in this problem?

also, is area of the rectangle just Base * height, so 200 * 300?

not sure how to find the distance between the two axis.

please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
help please?

Re draw your diagram. The reason no one is helping is because instantly, when they see something that's too hard to read, they won't bother. I know that's what I thought when I saw the picture..

I didnt get your drawing, but from the wording it seems you need to use the parallel axis theorem. If [tex]I_{cm}=I_0[/tex] about a certain axis, then [tex]I_x=I_0+mx^2[/tex], where x is the distance of the shifted axis from the axis of the center of mass (With moment of inertia [tex]I_0[/tex]).

how were you able to draw that. Is that found on image shack or somewhere on your computer. sorry for the off-topic comment

Thanks anyways, I was able to figure this out eventually.

Sorry for the awkward drawing. I used paintbrush to draw it, then hosted it through imageshack. However, i recommend hosting a bmp file instead of a low quality jpeg.

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is a measure of how mass is distributed around an axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of each element of mass in an object, multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the importance of finding the moment of inertia?

Knowing the moment of inertia of an object is important in understanding how it will behave when subjected to rotational forces. It is also necessary for calculating the angular momentum and angular acceleration of an object.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by the mass and distribution of mass in an object, as well as the axis of rotation. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the larger the moment of inertia will be.

5. Can the moment of inertia be negative?

No, the moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it is a measure of an object's resistance to rotation.