Amplitude of Sound Waves from Two Sources at a Point

In summary: Thanks for catching that.In summary, the amplitude of the sound waves from two sources at a point P varies approximately with position as \frac{2D_M}{r_A} \, \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B).
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Amplitude of Sound Waves from Two Sources at a Point

Problem. Two sources, A and B, emit sound waves, in phase, each of wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex] and amplitude [itex]D_M[/itex]. Consider a point P that is a distance [itex]r_A[/itex] from A and [itex]r_B[/itex] from B. Show that if [itex]r_A[/itex] and [itex]r_B[/itex] are nearly equal ([itex]r_A - r_B \ll r_A[/itex]). then the amplitude varies approximately with position as

[tex]\frac{2D_M}{r_A} \, \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B)[/tex]

Let D(x, t) be the function that describes the displacement of the sound waves at some time t and a distance x from the source. I figure that the displacement at point P must be [itex]D(r_A, t) + D(r_B, t)[/itex] right? One thing I'm noticing is that the expression for the amplitude given in the problem statement does not vary with time. What gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I look at the situation when t = 0, I get that the displacement at P is

[tex]D_M \sin kr_A + D_M \sin kr_B = 2D_M \sin \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A + r_B) \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B)[/tex]

How in the world does the sine expression simplify to 1/rA?

This problem describes the double slit interference pattern at a point near the central maximum. The signal might vary with time, but per definition the amplitude is the maximum (minimum) strength of the resulting signal.

Last edited:
Interesting. However, I'm still puzzled as why the sine term simplifies to 1/rA.

I can get close :

The phase difference, [tex]\delta[/tex], between the two waves at the point P will be small under the stated conditions. Since the amplitude of the resultant at P is proportional to

[tex]\cos^2(\frac{\delta}{2})[/tex]

which under the stated conditions reduces to

[tex]\cos(\frac{\delta}{2})[/tex]

The phase difference at the point P is given by

[tex]\delta = k \Delta r[/tex]

with the wave number [tex]k = \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda}[/tex]. We therefore have that

[tex]\cos(\frac{\pi \Delta r}{\lambda})[/tex]

for the above mentioned.

I am very suspicious about the [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex] term in the given solution, since the dimension is then incorrect.

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
Since the amplitude of the resultant at P is proportional to

[tex]\cos^2(\frac{\delta}{2})[/tex]
How do you know that? Where did you get that expression from?

I am very suspicious about the [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex] term in the given solution, since the dimension is then incorrect.

You're right. Perhaps it is incorrect. I think we can safely ignore the 1/rA term.

It just hit me. The problem wants the maximum displacement, i.e. the amplitude at point P. The displacement at P is given by:

[tex]2D_M \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B) \sin (\pi / \lambda (r_A + r_B) + \omega t)[/tex]

and the maximum displacement or amplitude is just

[tex]2D_M \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B)[/tex]

Duh!

Last edited:

1. What is the amplitude of sound waves from two sources at a point?

The amplitude of sound waves from two sources at a point is the maximum displacement of the medium particles from their equilibrium position caused by the two sources. It is a measure of the loudness or intensity of the sound at that point.

2. How does the distance between the two sources affect the amplitude of sound waves?

The amplitude of sound waves from two sources decreases as the distance between the two sources increases. This is because the energy from the sources is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in the amplitude at a specific point.

3. What happens to the amplitude of sound waves when two sources are in phase?

When two sources are in phase, meaning their sound waves are in sync, the amplitude of the resulting sound wave at a point will be larger than the amplitude of either individual source. This is known as constructive interference and results in a louder sound at that point.

4. Can the amplitude of sound waves from two sources cancel each other out?

Yes, when two sources are out of phase, meaning their sound waves are not in sync, they can cancel each other out at certain points. This is known as destructive interference and results in a decrease in the amplitude of the resulting sound wave at that point.

5. How does the frequency of the sound waves affect the amplitude at a point?

The frequency of the sound waves does not directly affect the amplitude at a point. However, it can affect the perceived loudness or intensity of the sound. High frequency sounds are perceived as louder than low frequency sounds, even if they have the same amplitude.