Positively charged oil drop

So q = 5.6 x 10-18 N / (1.6x10-19 C) = 35e.In summary, to find the magnitude of the charge on a positively charged oil drop in terms of the elementary charge e, you can use the equation q = F/E, where F is the electric force (8.60 × 10−16 N) and E is the electric field magnitude (153 V/m). After solving for q, you need to divide by the value of the elementary charge (1.6x10-19 C) to get the correct answer, which is 35e.
kbyws37
A positively charged oil drop is injected into a region of uniform electric field between two oppositely charged, horizontally oriented plates. If the electric force on the drop is found to be 8.60 × 10−16 N and the electric field magnitude is 153 V/m, what is the magnitude of the charge on the drop in terms of the elementary charge e?

The correct answer should be 35e, but I am not getting it.

My attempt:
I tried the equation
F = Eq
8.60 × 10−16 N = (153 V/m)(q)
q = 5.6 x 10-18 N

Then I used
e = q/k
e = 5.6 x 10-18 N / 8.99 x 10^9

which does not give me the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
kbyws37 said:
I tried the equation
F = Eq
8.60 × 10−16 N = (153 V/m)(q)
q = 5.6 x 10-18 N
Good :smile:
kbyws37 said:
Then I used
e = q/k
e = 5.6 x 10-18 N / 8.99 x 10^9
Not so good. I don't know where you got that equation from, but to express your charge in terms of elementary charges, you have to divide through by the value of the elementary charge (1.6x10-19 C).

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct units. The magnitude of the charge on the drop can be calculated using the equation q = F/E, where q is the charge, F is the electric force, and E is the electric field magnitude. Plugging in the given values, we get q = (8.60 × 10−16 N)/(153 V/m) = 5.6 × 10−18 C. To convert this to elementary charge, we can use the equation q = ne, where n is the number of elementary charges and e is the elementary charge. Rearranging, we get n = q/e. Plugging in the value for q and the known value for e (1.602 × 10−19 C), we get n = (5.6 × 10−18 C)/(1.602 × 10−19 C) = 35. Therefore, the magnitude of the charge on the drop is 35e.

1. What is a positively charged oil drop?

A positively charged oil drop is an oil droplet that has gained an overall positive charge due to the loss of electrons. This can happen through friction, contact with other charged objects, or exposure to certain chemicals or radiation.

2. How does a positively charged oil drop differ from a neutral oil drop?

A neutral oil drop has an equal number of protons and electrons, resulting in a net zero charge. However, a positively charged oil drop has lost some of its electrons, resulting in an overall positive charge.

3. What causes an oil drop to become positively charged?

An oil drop can become positively charged through the transfer of electrons. This can occur through rubbing the oil droplet against another material, such as a cloth or a balloon, or through exposure to a strong electric field.

4. Why is studying positively charged oil drops important?

Positively charged oil drops have unique properties and behaviors that can provide valuable insights into the nature of electricity and how it interacts with matter. By studying these droplets, scientists can gain a better understanding of fundamental principles in physics and chemistry.

5. How are positively charged oil drops used in research and applications?

Positively charged oil drops are used in a variety of research and applications, including studying the behavior of particles in electric fields, investigating the properties of different materials, and developing new technologies such as inkjet printers and electrostatic precipitators.