What is the Molar Specific Heat of a Monatomic and Diatomic Gas Mixture?

• Thread starter skinard360
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the mixing of n_1 moles of a monatomic gas and n_2 moles of a diatomic gas in a container. The molar specific heat at constant volume of the mixture is derived, with c sub v being equal to 3/2 R for a monatomic gas and 5/2 R for a diatomic gas. The thermal energy for each type of gas is also calculated. The conversation concludes with the realization that the heat required to raise the temperature of the mixture by dT is equal to n1(3R/2)*dT + n2(5R/2)*dT, and the definition of molar specific heat is discussed.
skinard360
n_1 moles of a monatomic gas and n_2 moles of a diatomic gas are mixed together in a container.
Derive an expression for the molar specific heat at constant volume of the mixture.

c sub v = 3/2 R for a monatomic gas
5/2 R for a diatomic gas

thermal energy for a monatomic gas = 3/2 NkT = 3/2 nRT
diatomic Eth = 5/2 NkT = 5/2 nRT

c = J/molK, R = J/molK, n = mol

I started off by looking at the units and figuring that I needed to divide the n's somehow and multiply that times R...but I have tried many equations and can't seem to find one that works, and I can't figure out logically how that would work out...does anyone have any ideas?? I'm desperate

Physics news on Phys.org
If the temperature of the mixture is to be raised by dT the heat required (at constant volume) will be

n1(3R/2)*dT + n2(5R/2)*dT

Now what is the definition of molar specific heat?

I figured it out, thank you!

What is a monatomic and diatomic mix?

A monatomic and diatomic mix refers to a combination of elements that exist as either single atoms or pairs of atoms, respectively.

What is the difference between monatomic and diatomic molecules?

Monatomic molecules consist of only one atom, while diatomic molecules consist of two atoms bonded together.

Which elements can exist as monatomic and diatomic molecules?

Elements in their pure form can exist as monatomic or diatomic molecules. For example, noble gases such as helium, neon, and argon exist as monatomic molecules, while elements like oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen exist as diatomic molecules.

Why is it important to understand monatomic and diatomic mixtures?

Understanding monatomic and diatomic mixtures is important in various scientific fields, such as chemistry and physics, as it helps us understand the behavior and properties of different elements and their combinations. This knowledge is also crucial in industries such as metallurgy and materials science.

How are monatomic and diatomic mixtures used in practical applications?

Monatomic and diatomic mixtures have a wide range of practical applications, including in the production of metal alloys, purification of gases, and in various chemical reactions. They are also used in refrigerants, lasers, and in the synthesis of new materials with unique properties.