I do not understand how the neutral conductor lose electrons

In summary, when a positively charged conductor touches a neutral conductor, the neutral conductor will lose electrons, not gain protons as initially thought. This is because the concept of charge refers to the net movement of electrons, not protons and electrons. Additionally, a neutral conductor still has protons and electrons, just in equal amounts, allowing it to carry a neutral charge.
SeriousNoob

Homework Statement

When a positively charged conductor touches a neutral conductor, the neutral conductor will
(A) Gain protons
(B) Gain electrons
(C) Lose protons
(D) Lose electrons
(E) Stay neutral

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You know how when two different charged spheres touch each other you split the charges equally between them so I thought it would somewhat apply to this. Since it was a neutral conductor I thought it did not have any protons, electrons or neutrons so when a positively charged conductor touches it I thought it would gain protons since protons are positively charged. The answer says it loses electrons, but I don't really understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Judging from the fact that you thought the answer would be "gain protons," I believe you understand the concept of charge. However, you are missing one key concept, which I will try to explain below.

For a moment, consider the structure of the atom. The protons and neutrons reside in the dense nucleus, while the electrons are found in the surrounding "cloud." The electrons are free to move about, while the protons and neutrons are held in place in the nucleus. Thus, when something becomes charged, it is describing the net movement of its electrons, NOT its protons AND electrons. This means that when something is said to have a positive charge, it means that it has lost electrons, NOT that it has gained protons.

Also, something that is said to be neutral has an equal number of protons and electrons. Therefore, it carries a neutral charge. This does NOT mean that there are no protons and/or electrons. Saying the neutral conductor has no electrons and/or protons would mean that there are no atoms and, therefore, the neutral conductor would not exist.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is important to have a clear understanding of the concepts and principles involved in a situation rather than relying on assumptions or generalizations. In this case, the key concept is that of charge transfer between objects. When a positively charged conductor touches a neutral conductor, some of the positively charged particles (protons) from the positively charged conductor will transfer to the neutral conductor. This results in an overall loss of electrons in the neutral conductor, making it positively charged. This transfer of charge is known as induction and is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism. It is important to note that in this scenario, the neutral conductor is not entirely devoid of particles, it simply has an equal number of positively and negatively charged particles, resulting in a neutral overall charge. Therefore, when electrons are lost, the conductor becomes positively charged. It is crucial to have a solid understanding of these fundamental concepts to accurately interpret and explain scientific phenomena.

1. Why is the neutral conductor important in an electrical circuit?

The neutral conductor is an essential part of an electrical circuit because it provides a return path for the electric current to flow back to the source. Without a neutral conductor, the circuit would be incomplete, and electricity would not be able to flow properly.

2. How does the neutral conductor lose electrons?

The neutral conductor does not typically lose electrons on its own. Instead, it maintains a balance of positive and negative charges by carrying the same amount of electrons as the hot conductor. However, in cases of a fault or overload, the neutral conductor can lose electrons if it becomes overloaded and cannot handle the excess current.

3. What happens if the neutral conductor is not connected properly?

If the neutral conductor is not connected properly, it can result in a phenomenon known as a "floating neutral." This means that the neutral conductor is not at the same potential as the ground, which can lead to electrical shocks, damage to appliances, and potential fire hazards.

4. Can the neutral conductor carry electrical current?

Yes, the neutral conductor can carry electrical current. However, it is designed to carry the same amount of current as the hot conductor, and its purpose is to provide a return path for the current, not to power electrical devices.

5. Why is the neutral conductor usually connected to the ground?

The neutral conductor is typically connected to the ground for safety purposes. In case of a fault, the ground connection provides a low resistance path for the excess current to flow, preventing electrical shocks and potential damage to appliances. It also helps to stabilize the voltage in the circuit.