Is the Physics Forums Website Header Image Fragmented?

• Thread starter Another God
  • Start date
In summary, the PF image at the left is one piece, with the blue thing beside it fragemented off a cm or so, and then within that blue thing, each of the buttons are fragmented so that there is a gap between each of them. The top of the blue bit is actually continuous with the PF image, so that means it is out of alignment with the bit which it is supposed to be in alignmnet with.
Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Am I the only person who sees the graphics up the top of the Physics Forums website as fragmented?

The PF image at the left is one piece, with the bl;ue thing beside it fragemented off a cm or so, and then within that blue thing, each of the buttons are fragmented so that there is a gap between each of them.
And the top of the blue bit is actually continuous with the PF image, so that means it is out of alignment with the bit which it is supposed to be in alignmnet with...

I am using the latest IE, and have a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024
(i changed it to 1170 x 760 (whatever it is) and the fragmentation remains, but just with different gaps between the bits)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think its just you. Or maybe its cause you use such a high res. Well high for me, I use a relatively low res of 800*600 cause my parents can't see anything if it is much higher.

its been like it ever since the change. At first I thought it was a glitch which would be sorted out with time, but as time has passed, and nothing has changed, plus I have seen no one else mention it, I figured no one else noticed it...

Now that I've taken a good look, I can notice it slightly, but it is not at all obvious at the res I'm using. I feel I'm being picky pointing that out though.

It's not a res problem. I notice it when I'm using opera but not in internet explorer and I'm at a res of 1280x1024. Possibly it's a browser issue.

We are aware of the res problem. We designed the site for 1024x768. The header isn't mission critical, so it might be awhile till it's fixed.

I notice it too using Galeon (which is basically Mozilla with a different front-end.) I thought it was just something associated with Netscape-ish browsers but I assumed it probably looked fine on IE, which I can't use.

1. What is header image fragmentation?

Header image fragmentation refers to the process of splitting a large header image into smaller pieces or fragments. This is often done to improve website loading speed and reduce the strain on the server.

2. Why is header image fragmentation important?

Header image fragmentation is important because it can significantly improve website performance. By reducing the size of the header image, it can be loaded faster, which enhances user experience and helps to retain visitors on the website.

3. How is header image fragmentation done?

Header image fragmentation is usually done using image editing software, such as Photoshop. The image is divided into smaller fragments and saved as separate files that can be loaded individually. These fragments are then reassembled on the website using HTML and CSS.

4. What are the benefits of header image fragmentation?

The main benefit of header image fragmentation is improved website performance. By reducing the size of the header image, the website will load faster, which can lead to higher conversion rates and better search engine rankings. Additionally, header image fragmentation can also help to reduce bandwidth usage and save storage space.

5. Are there any downsides to header image fragmentation?

One potential downside of header image fragmentation is that it may require additional coding and maintenance. If the fragments are not properly optimized and arranged, it could also result in a disjointed or distorted header image. Additionally, frequent updates to the header image may be more time-consuming with a fragmented image compared to a single large image.