How Do You Correctly Integrate the Delta Function in This Equation?

In summary, the integration of the given equation results in e^{-2(5)} sin (5-3) = e^{-10} sin (2) and the solution given by the professor is \frac{1}{2} e^{-10} sin (2). However, the integration limits only cover half of the delta spike, and there are multiple representations of the delta function that can lead to different answers. Therefore, the correct answer is undefined.
EugP

Homework Statement

Evaluate:

[tex]\int_{-3}^{5} e^{-2t} sin(t-3) \delta(t-5) dt[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) \delta(at-t_0) dt = \frac{1}{|a|}f(\frac{t_0}{a})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]e^{-2(5)} sin (5-3) = e^{-10} sin (2)[/tex]

The solution given by the professor was:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} e^{-10} sin (2)[/tex]

I don't understand where he got the [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] from.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit cheeky, and technically your professor's answer is contestable. Because your integration limits are only up to 5, and the delta function is delta(t-5), you've only integrated "half" of the delta spike. Now, if that sounds absurd -- "how the hell can you only integrate half of an infinitesimally thin spike?!" -- just remember that the delta function itself is not really very sensible as a function anyway. Personally, I treat that sort of integral as badly defined; more specifically, since I'm a physicist, I arrange my physics so that the maths never requires me to contemplate these soul-searching issues :wink:

Hm, interesting... I never knew that you integrate only half the delta spike.

user101 said:
Hm, interesting... I never knew that you integrate only half the delta spike.

You shouldn't. As genneth was pointing out, there are perfectly fine representations of the delta function in which you can get a completely different answer. The correct answer is 'undefined', with all due respect to the composer of the solutions.

1. What is a delta function?

A delta function, denoted by the symbol δ, is a mathematical function that is often used to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific location. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, and has an integral of one.

2. What is the purpose of integrating a delta function?

Integrating a delta function allows us to evaluate the function at the point where it is defined, and to calculate the area under the curve. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model point sources of energy or mass.

3. How is a delta function integrated?

A delta function is integrated using the properties of the integral, specifically the substitution rule. The integral of a delta function at a specific point can be calculated by substituting the value of the point into the function that is being integrated.

4. What are some real-world applications of delta functions?

Delta functions are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. In physics, they are used to model point sources of energy or mass, such as an electron or a point charge. In engineering, they are used to model concentrated forces or point loads on a structure. In signal processing, they are used to model sharp impulses or sudden changes in a signal.

5. Are there any limitations to using delta functions?

While delta functions are useful for modeling point sources, they have some limitations. One limitation is that they are not continuous and thus cannot be used to model real-world phenomena that vary continuously. Additionally, they are not defined at points other than the origin, making them less useful for modeling distributed sources of energy or mass.