A simple problem involving motion in two directions

• Thread starter Bill Foster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's introduction and educational background, their current studies in preparation for a PhD in physics, and a particular problem they are struggling to solve involving throwing a stone at a window. They also discuss using equations and trigonometry to solve the problem and provide a possible solution using the quadratic formula to find the value of theta.
Bill Foster
This is my first post, so an introduction is in order.

My educational background includes a MBA from UGA in 2007, a MS in EE from Southern Illinois U in 1994, and a BS in EE with minors in physics and math from SIU in 1992.

Recently I've applied to three universities for their PhD physics program. And I have to take the GRE Physics subject exam.

I've been studying using an old college physics textbook by Ohanian. It's an old book, probably 20 years old or so. But I've been going through each chapter working the even numbered problems (because the answers are in the back). One particular problem has thrown me for a loop. Here it is...

You throw a stone at 25 m/s. Can you hit a window 50 m away that is 13 m above the ground? What is the highest the window can be at that distance that you can hit?

Here are some equations:

Vx = V cos(θ)
Vy = V sin(θ) - gt

x=Vt cos(θ)
y=Vt sin(θ) - ½gt²

I've been trying to solve this problem by writing y in terms of x and v, but I can't get rid of θ.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bill Foster said:
This is my first post, so an introduction is in order.

My educational background includes a MBA from UGA in 2007, a MS in EE from Southern Illinois U in 1994, and a BS in EE with minors in physics and math from SIU in 1992.

Recently I've applied to three universities for their PhD physics program. And I have to take the GRE Physics subject exam.

I've been studying using an old college physics textbook by Ohanian. It's an old book, probably 20 years old or so. But I've been going through each chapter working the even numbered problems (because the answers are in the back). One particular problem has thrown me for a loop. Here it is...

Here are some equations:

Vx = V cos(θ)
Vy = V sin(θ) - gt

x=Vt cos(θ)
y=Vt sin(θ) - ½gt²

I've been trying to solve this problem by writing y in terms of x and v, but I can't get rid of θ.
Just work with the last two equations (for x and y). You have two unknowns (t an dtheta) for two equations so it's solvable. To getrid of the angle, isolate sin and cos and then use that sin^2 + cos^2 = 1. That will leave you one equation containing x, y and t. You can therefore solve for t.

nrqed said:
Just work with the last two equations (for x and y). You have two unknowns (t an dtheta) for two equations so it's solvable. To getrid of the angle, isolate sin and cos and then use that sin^2 + cos^2 = 1. That will leave you one equation containing x, y and t. You can therefore solve for t.

Well, I get a mess that looks like this:

(½g²t²+yg-v²)t²+x²+y²=0

Bill Foster said:
Well, I get a mess that looks like this:

(½g²t²+yg-v²)t²+x²+y²=0

you mean 1/4 for the first term.

Now plug in th evalues of x and y and g and solve for t.

nrqed said:
you mean 1/4 for the first term.

Now plug in th evalues of x and y and g and solve for t.

evalues? It's been almost 20 years since I've done stuff like this. Please clarify.

Bill Foster said:
evalues?
I think that it's clear from my message that it's a typo, it should be "the values" instead of "th evalues"
It's been almost 20 years since I've done stuff like this. Please clarify.

You have an equation that contains t^4, t^2 and a cinstant. You can solve for the value of t^2 using the quadratic formula (in other words, just rename t^2=w, say. Then you have an equation of the form a+bw + cw^2 =0 with a,b,c being some constants. Use the quadratic formula to find w, which is t^2. )

I see. I thought you might have been talking about eigenvalues.

Need help solving this for θ:

a/cos²(θ)+btan(θ)-c=0

I've tried just about every trig identity known to man.

Thanks.

a sec²θ + b tan θ - c = 0

use Pythagorean identity sec²θ = tan²θ + 1

a(tan²θ + 1) + b tan θ - c = 0

a tan²θ + b tan θ + (a - c) = 0

Use of the quadratic formula yields

tan θ = [-b ± √(b² - 4a(a - c))]/2a

θ = arctan{[-b ± √(b² - 4a(a - c))]/2a}

1. What is a simple problem involving motion in two directions?

A simple problem involving motion in two directions is a physics problem that involves an object moving in two different directions at the same time. This can be represented by vectors, with one vector representing the motion in the x-direction and another representing the motion in the y-direction.

2. How do you solve a simple problem involving motion in two directions?

To solve a simple problem involving motion in two directions, you will need to use vector addition. This involves breaking down the vectors into their x and y components, adding the components separately, and then combining the x and y components to find the resulting vector.

3. What is the importance of understanding motion in two directions?

Understanding motion in two directions is important in physics because many real-world situations involve objects moving in multiple directions at the same time. By understanding how to represent and solve problems involving motion in two directions, we can better understand and predict the behavior of objects in the world around us.

4. What are some examples of problems involving motion in two directions?

Some examples of problems involving motion in two directions include finding the resulting velocity of a boat moving across a river with a current, calculating the displacement of a plane flying with both horizontal and vertical motion, and determining the final position of a car moving at an angle on a curved road.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving problems involving motion in two directions?

The best way to improve your skills in solving problems involving motion in two directions is to practice. Start with simple examples and work your way up to more complex problems. It can also be helpful to review the principles of vector addition and to familiarize yourself with common formulas and equations used in these types of problems.