About the preimage of a compact set

In summary: The interesting part is: when is the preimage of a compact set compact? Continuous functions with this property are called proper and are very...interesting.
sapporozoe
If f from R to R is continuous, does it then follow that the pre-image of the closed unit interval [0,1] is compact?

-At first I thought of a counterexample like f=sinx but it seems that its range is not R. So will the answer be yes? And how can we prove it? Will the preimage have to be bounded in this case?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
false, take f=1 for all x in R.
then preimage of the closed unit interval is R which is not compact.

but...

but the range of this f is not R, is it?

SiddharthM said:
false, take f=1 for all x in R.
then preimage of the closed unit interval is R which is not compact.

The range of a function is not necessarily the same as its image.

(But it's easy enough to modify yours, or SiddharthM's, suggestion so that the image of the function really is all of R)

you mean if f is ONTO R?. how about f(x)=xsinx, the preimage of the closed unit interval here isn't bounded! So by heineborel it isn't compact.

great! thanks...

SiddharthM said:
you mean if f is ONTO R?. how about f(x)=xsinx, the preimage of the closed unit interval here isn't bounded! So by heineborel it isn't compact.

thank you. but do we usually take Rn as the domain and Rm as the range when we say "f is from Rn to Rm"? I am a bit confused about this...

Hurkyl said:
The range of a function is not necessarily the same as its image.

(But it's easy enough to modify yours, or SiddharthM's, suggestion so that the image of the function really is all of R)

f(x) = 0 is a perfectly good definition for a function from R to R.

But the image of this function is the set {0}.

Thanks for your patience:). But the following example tells my confusion...

Perhaps we are familiar with a statement like this:"if f:Rn to Rm is continuous and B in Rn is bounded, then f(B) is Rm is bounded". We know that boundedness is not preserved under continuous mapping. But this statement is true in that Rn is its domain... So I am confused about the exact meaning "f is Rn to Rm".

Hurkyl said:
f(x) = 0 is a perfectly good definition for a function from R to R.

But the image of this function is the set {0}.

sapporozoe said:
We know that boundedness is not preserved under continuous mapping.
There exist continuous functions that don't preserve boundedness. That doesn't imply all continuous functions don't preserve boundedness.

In the case you cited, the theorem follows from the fact that continuous maps preserve compactness. (And the properties of Euclidean space)

I'm not sure why you think this relates to the notion of range, though.

when i wrote down the previous post, i was worried whether i made my question clear:)

The statement is true because we exclude cases like: f(x)=tanx, x in (-pi/2, pi/2). We can exclude such cases as we require the domain of f(x) is Rn.

So my question becomes: if we say "f is from Rn to Rm", do we mean "the domain of f is Rn but the range of f is a subset of Rm"?

Thanks again:)

sapporozoe said:
when i wrote down the previous post, i was worried whether i made my question clear:)

The statement is true because we exclude cases like: f(x)=tanx, x in (-pi/2, pi/2). We can exclude such cases as we require the domain of f(x) is Rn.

So my question becomes: if we say "f is from Rn to Rm", do we mean "the domain of f is Rn but the range of f is a subset of Rm"?

Thanks again:)

I have seen the word "range" used in two different ways:
(1) The target of a function. (Rm, for your example)
(2) The image of a function. (f(Rn), in your example)

It appears to me like your issue is entirely due to mixing up the two usages of the word "range".

(the target is also called the codomain)

look at the definition of a ONTO or SURJECTIVE function (these two capitalized words mean the same thing). When a function's domain and range are specified it only means that a function is a rule that assigns to each value in the domain ONE value from the range. The IMAGE of the ENTIRE domain can still be a proper subset of the range. A ONTO function is one where the image of the domain is the ENTIRE range.

i almost get it:) Thanks.

you are stumbling around over the trivial part of the topic, i.e. the domain and range.

the interesting part is: when is the preimage of a compact set compact? continuos functions with this property are called proper and are very important.

1. What is the preimage of a compact set?

The preimage of a compact set is the set of all points in the domain of a function that map to points within the compact set. In other words, it is the set of inputs that produce outputs within the compact set.

2. How is the preimage of a compact set related to the image?

The preimage and image are both subsets of the function's domain and codomain, respectively. The preimage is the set of inputs that produce outputs within the image, while the image is the set of outputs produced by the function from the preimage.

3. Can the preimage of a compact set be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the preimage of a compact set to be empty. This can occur when there are no inputs in the domain of the function that produce outputs within the compact set.

4. How do you find the preimage of a compact set?

To find the preimage of a compact set, you can use the inverse image of the function. This involves finding all inputs in the domain that map to points within the compact set, which can be done by solving the inverse of the function.

5. What is the significance of the preimage of a compact set in mathematics?

The preimage of a compact set is important in many areas of mathematics, such as topology and analysis. It helps to define and understand the behavior of functions, and can be used to prove theorems and solve problems involving functions and sets.