Calculating Velocity of River and Boat

In summary, to find the velocity of the current and the boat, one must first determine the angle between the direction in which the boat is steered and the direction of the river flow. Then, by using the sine rule in a non-right angled triangle, the velocities can be easily calculated. It is important to note that this problem involves a right triangle, where the hypotenuse represents the velocity of the boat and the other two sides represent the river velocity and the net velocity of 6m/s to the right.
tregeat

Homework Statement

A river flows toward 90 degrees. A river boat pilot heads the boat at 297 degrees and is able to go straight across the river at 6 m/s.

Homework Equations

What is the velocity of the current?
What is the velocity of the boat?

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free bodied diagram but i don't know what to put where.

Physics news on Phys.org
now the first question you have to ask yourself is the angle between the the direction in which the boat is steered and the direction of the river flow.

once you have done this, the velocities can be easily found by sine rule in a non-right angled triangle.

k thanks.

wait so i found the angle between the current and the boat but what are the other two angles?

tregeat said:
wait so i found the angle between the current and the boat but what are the other two angles?

It's actually a right triangle... the hypoteneuse is the velocity of the boat... the two legs of the right triangle are the river velocity and the net velocity of 6m/s to the right.

thanks

learningphysics said:
It's actually a right triangle... the hypoteneuse is the velocity of the boat... the two legs of the right triangle are the river velocity and the net velocity of 6m/s to the right.

oh yeh its a right angled tiangle, how could i have missed that haha i guess i was feeling too sleepy

1. How is the velocity of a river and boat calculated?

The velocity of a river and boat is calculated by dividing the displacement of the boat by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is known as the average velocity formula, V = d/t.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that measures the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction.

3. How do you determine the velocity of a river or current?

The velocity of a river or current can be determined by measuring the displacement of an object floating on the river or current over a known time period. The average velocity formula can be used, V = d/t, to calculate the velocity.

4. What factors can affect the velocity of a river and boat?

The velocity of a river and boat can be affected by various factors such as the strength and direction of the current, the shape and size of the boat, and any external forces such as wind or waves.

5. How can the velocity of a river and boat be used in real-world applications?

The velocity of a river and boat is important in many real-world applications, such as navigation, transportation, and water resource management. It can also be used in scientific studies to understand the behavior and dynamics of rivers and other bodies of water.