Did Blaise Pascal Experiment with a Barrel?

In summary, Blaise Pascal conducted an experiment known as "Pascal's Barrel" to prove the existence of atmospheric pressure. The purpose of the experiment was to demonstrate and measure atmospheric pressure. The experiment involved filling a barrel with water and inserting a tube, showing an increase in pressure. The results led to the development of the barometer and furthered our understanding of gas properties.
hamilton333
Hello, I would like to know if Pascal really made the experiment of the barrel.
I have looked for in his treaties(traitez de liqueurs) but I have not seen any reference to the barrel. Somebody knows if Pascal speaks somewhere of the barrel?
I tried to make the experiment with a tube of 10m but the barrel did not burst. Somebody has made this experiment?
Excuses by my poor English(from Spain) .

Thanks,Alberto

Physics news on Phys.org
You nearly did it! The maximum height for water should be around 10.3 meters. :D

Unless you are as clever as a tree!

1. Did Blaise Pascal actually conduct an experiment with a barrel?

Yes, Blaise Pascal did conduct an experiment with a barrel. It was known as the "Pascal's Barrel" experiment and it was used to prove the existence of atmospheric pressure.

2. What was the purpose of Pascal's Barrel experiment?

The purpose of the experiment was to demonstrate that atmospheric pressure exists and that it can be measured.

3. How did Pascal's Barrel experiment work?

Pascal's Barrel experiment involved filling a barrel with water and inserting a long tube into the barrel. As the tube was filled with water, the pressure inside the barrel increased, demonstrating the existence of atmospheric pressure.

4. What were the results of Pascal's Barrel experiment?

The results of the experiment showed that as the tube was filled with water, the pressure inside the barrel increased. This proved the existence of atmospheric pressure and led to the development of the barometer.

5. How did Pascal's Barrel experiment contribute to the field of science?

Pascal's Barrel experiment was a significant contribution to the field of science as it provided evidence for the existence of atmospheric pressure and led to the development of the barometer, an important tool for measuring air pressure. This experiment also helped to further our understanding of the properties of gases and their behavior under varying conditions.