How Does Friction Affect the Motion of a Block Colliding with a Spring?

• Thread starter _mae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: Because of that it does work on the object and the result is that some of the object's initial kinetic energy goes to overcoming the frictional force. The work done by friction is -m*g*mu*d where d is the distance over which the object moves while stopping.In summary, the conversation discusses a 1.00 kg object sliding to the right on a surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.250. The object then makes contact with a light spring with a force constant of 50.0 N/m and comes to rest after the spring has been compressed a distance d. From there, the object is forced towards the left by the spring and eventually comes to rest a distance D to the left of the unstretched
_mae

Homework Statement

A 1.00 kg object slides to the right on a surface having a coefficient of kinetic friction 0.250. The object has an initial velocity of 3.40 m/s when it makes contact with a light spring that has a force constant of 50.0 N/m. The object comes to rest after the spring has been compressed a distance d. The object is then forced toward the left by the spring and continues to move in that direction beyond the spring's unstretched position. The object finally comes to rest a distance D to the left of the unstretched spring.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4141/p862af4.gif​
[/URL]

(a) Find the speed v at the unstretched position when the object is moving to the left.
(b) Find the distance D where the object comes to rest.

Homework Equations

(a): E = (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)m[tex]v_{i}[/tex]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) When I rearrange the equation I gave above, (1/2)mv^2 = - (1/2)m[tex]v_{i}[/tex]^2. This eventually gives the relationship v^2 = -[tex]v_{i}[/tex]^2. If the initial velocity is 3.40 m/s, then wouldn't the velocity towards the left after the collision be -3.40 m/s? I typed this in, but I guess it's wrong.

(b) I don't know what to do here :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I still need help... :(

If we were dealing with conservative forces you would be absolutely correct, but friction is a nonconservative force.

What is a "Block-Spring Collision"?

A "Block-Spring Collision" is a type of collision that occurs between a block and a spring. It involves the transfer of energy between the two objects, resulting in a change in their movement or deformation.

How does a "Block-Spring Collision" work?

In a "Block-Spring Collision", the block and spring come into contact with each other, causing the spring to compress. This compression stores potential energy in the spring. As the spring expands back to its original position, this potential energy is released and transferred to the block, causing it to move in the opposite direction.

What factors affect a "Block-Spring Collision"?

The factors that affect a "Block-Spring Collision" include the mass and velocity of the block, the stiffness of the spring, and the angle and direction of the collision. The surface properties of the objects and the surrounding environment may also play a role.

What are the applications of "Block-Spring Collision" in science and engineering?

"Block-Spring Collision" has various applications in science and engineering, such as in the study of conservation of energy and momentum, and in the design of shock absorbers and springs for machines and vehicles. It is also used in simulations and experiments to understand and analyze different types of collisions.

How is the energy transferred in a "Block-Spring Collision"?

In a "Block-Spring Collision", energy is transferred from the block to the spring and vice versa. When the spring compresses, it stores potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy as it expands and pushes the block. Some energy may also be lost due to friction and other external factors.