Gravity's Pull on Photons: Explained

In summary: This is because the strength of the gravitational field decreases the further away you are from the center of the mass.
bassplayer142
If you throw a ball gravity pulls it down. The harder you throw it the farther it will go but it is still constantly being pulled down by gravity. If you look at a photon even it will get pulled down by gravity but the photon will go a lot farther before it would hit the ground. Now if you were to view this photon on a very short interval wouldn't the photon be going in a straight line and then kind of step down towards the ground due to Planck length. Just think of the floor and ceiling functions in math. I don't understand how the Planck length could even make sense with this because the photon can't be moving slightly down on anything smaller then the Planck length. As usual, I probably just don't know everything about the subject and have a lack of understanding. Thanks in advanced.

Science news on Phys.org
the fact that, in our Euclidian coordinate system, we observe the bending of a ray of light toward a massive object (due to gravity, but in GR they would say that both the photon and ball are traveling in a "straight" line and it is the space-time around it that is curved, due to the massive object). but i don't think that Planck units have anything to do with this. what's the connection?

rbj said:
the fact that, in our Euclidian coordinate system, we observe the bending of a ray of light toward a massive object (due to gravity, but in GR they would say that both the photon and ball are traveling in a "straight" line and it is the space-time around it that is curved, due to the massive object). but i don't think that Planck units have anything to do with this. what's the connection?
I think what he's asking is, supposing that in the same way that pixels make up a monitor, Planck lengths of space make up our world, wouldn't a photon seem to suddenly skip down into the next Planck length instead of moving in a smooth curve a la macroscopic physics?

Similar to aliasing:

http://www.schorsch.com/de/kbase/glossary/images/aliasing.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
dst said:
I think what he's asking is, supposing that in the same way that pixels make up a monitor, Planck lengths of space make up our world, wouldn't a photon seem to suddenly skip down into the next Planck length instead of moving in a smooth curve a la macroscopic physics?

Similar to aliasing:

http://www.schorsch.com/de/kbase/glossary/images/aliasing.gif
[/URL]

That is exactly what I mean. Basically you explained it better then i could. But I guess the curved spacetime does make sense of it anyway. Thanks for the answer, I've been thinking about this all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
bassplayer142 said:
That is exactly what I mean. Basically you explained it better then i could. But I guess the curved spacetime does make sense of it anyway. Thanks for the answer, I've been thinking about this all day.

A photon whose wavelength was about the Planck length would have enormous energy - probably enough to start another big bang. The kinds of photons we deal with ( even gamma rays) have wavelengths which are gazillions* of times bigger that the Planck length.

* I don't know the actual number but about 10^20 should cover it ( with tip ).

A gravitating body needs to be very dense before photons are stopped from leaving by the field. On earth, photons escape easily but instead of slowing down they appear to stretch while escaping.

Last edited:

1. What is "Gravity's Pull on Photons: Explained"?

"Gravity's Pull on Photons: Explained" is a scientific theory that explains how gravity affects the movement and behavior of photons, which are particles of light.

2. How does gravity affect photons?

Gravity affects photons by causing them to follow a curved path, similar to how gravity affects the movement of objects with mass. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull on photons will be.

3. How does this theory relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

This theory is a direct result of Einstein's theory of general relativity. In his theory, Einstein proposed that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy. "Gravity's Pull on Photons: Explained" further explains how this curvature affects the movement of photons.

4. What evidence supports this theory?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports this theory, including observations of the bending of starlight around massive objects, such as the sun, and the detection of gravitational waves from the collision of two black holes.

5. How does understanding the behavior of photons help us understand the universe?

Understanding the behavior of photons is crucial in understanding the fundamental properties of the universe, such as the nature of light, the structure of space and time, and the effects of gravity. This knowledge also plays a significant role in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology, helping us to understand the origins and evolution of the universe.