Maximizing a rectangle with a semicircle on top

• Thread starter JackJames54
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rectangle
In summary, the conversation is about a family wanting to create a specific shape for a basketball using duct tape with limited resources. They want to maximize the area of the shape and are trying to find the dimensions that would give the rectangle its maximum area. The conversation then goes into discussing algebraic expressions and finding the maximum value using calculus.
JackJames54

Homework Statement

Heres a picture that might help
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3809/semirectanglexf6.png

A family wants to create that shape for basketball with duct tape, the family only has 20 ft of duct tape. The family decides they want to maximize the area of the rectangle. What dimensions would give the rectangle it's maximum area?

Homework Equations

H=height of rectangle
X=diameter of the semicircle,also width of the rectangle
Perimeteter=20
20=2H+2X+(1/2)(X*PI)

The Attempt at a Solution

Anything to do from here I don't get. I kind of understand how to maximize the whole thing, but just the rectangle confuses me.

Hope you can help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make an expression for the area...and then see what you get

Alright the area would be
A=(H*X)+(PI*x/2^2)=(H*X)+(PI*X^2/4)

I was thinking of substituting H for
20=2H+2X+1/2X*PI
H=(20-2x-1/2X*PI)/2

So
A=X(20-2x-1/2X*PI)/2
But using that won't I only be able to find the dimensions that would give the greatest area of the whole thing?

I understand I need to make the H*X as big as possible, but don't know how.
This is like my worst subject.

Find [itex]\frac{dA}{dx}[/itex] and at a stationary value, [itex]\frac{dA}{dx}=0[/itex]

when you find the value for X, find [tex]\frac{d^2A}{dx^2}[/tex] at the value for X, if it is negative then it is a maximum value, so for that value of X, the area will be a maximum.

Last edited:
Umm after you wrote find it shows an x, like when pictures don't load, could youo write it out?

Ok nevermind, but I don't understand what you mean, how do i do that?

JackJames54 said:
A=X(20-2x-1/2X*PI)/2
But using that won't I only be able to find the dimensions that would give the greatest area of the whole thing?

I understand I need to make the H*X as big as possible, but don't know how.
This is like my worst subject.

I didn't check the algebra but the method seems right. You have a function for the area with respect to width, so you can find where the width is maximized. You need to graph that and find the abs. max of the function (needs to be in the first quadrant)

Since you put this in the pre-calculus forum I'm assuming you don't know how to find the area without a calculator so I wouldn't look at rock's post unless you do know calculus.

1. How do you calculate the area of a rectangle with a semicircle on top?

The area of a rectangle with a semicircle on top can be calculated by adding the area of the rectangle and half the area of the semicircle. The formula for the area of a rectangle is length x width, while the formula for the area of a semicircle is (πr^2)/2, where r is the radius of the semicircle.

2. What is the maximum area of a rectangle with a semicircle on top?

The maximum area of a rectangle with a semicircle on top occurs when the width of the rectangle is equal to the diameter of the semicircle. This creates a shape known as a "semicircular arch" and the maximum area can be calculated by (π/4)x(length)^2.

3. How can you determine the dimensions for a rectangle with a semicircle on top that will give the maximum area?

The dimensions for a rectangle with a semicircle on top that will give the maximum area can be determined by setting the derivative of the area formula equal to 0 and solving for the length and width. This will give the dimensions of the rectangle that will give the maximum area when combined with the semicircle.

4. What is the purpose of maximizing a rectangle with a semicircle on top?

The purpose of maximizing a rectangle with a semicircle on top is to find the largest possible area that can be enclosed within the given shape. This can be useful in real-world applications such as designing a playground or optimizing the use of space in a building.

5. Are there any other shapes that can be combined to create a larger area than a rectangle with a semicircle on top?

Yes, there are other shapes that can be combined to create a larger area, such as a rectangle with a quarter circle on each end or a rectangle with a half circle on one end. However, the maximum area will still be achieved when the width of the rectangle is equal to the diameter of the semicircle.