How Does Terminal Velocity Arise in Fluid Dynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an object in water experiencing a net force due to gravity and a resistive force R = -bv. The net force in the vertical direction is represented by Fy = mg - bv = ma = m(dv/dt), and can be rearranged to find the velocity v = (mg/b)(1 - e^(-bt/m)). The conversation also mentions the use of integration to derive this equation and explains that the resistive force acts against the direction of motion. It is noted that the actual velocity of an object will approach the terminal velocity of (mg/b) within a short period of time, depending on the ratio of b/m.
Gear300
heheh...I need some help understanding something. If there was an object, such as a sphere, in water, gravity would be pushing it downwards, while a resistive force R = -bv would be pushing it upward (b as a constant).

that would imply that the net Force Fy would be
Fy = mg - bv = ma = m(dv/dt)

dv/dt = g - (b/m)v

How do I come up with

v = (mg/b)(1 - e^(-bt/m))

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned integration? That's how you get the final eqn.

The force R is a resistive force, acting against the direction of motion, and not necessarily pushing it up. But if the body is falling vertically downward, of course it is acting upward.

I see...I've learned integration, but I'm still just tipping it.

I was just thinking that using dv/dt = g - (b/m)v could be rearranged for v = (mg/b)(1-(a/g)), in which dv/dt = acceleration = a. After that, I would somehow have to state that (a/g) = e^(-bt/m)...which I apparently didn't do.

Actually...nevermind...I get what's being said. The terminal velocity (when the net force is 0N) is only approached, not touched, in which the terminal velocity = (mg/b). So, the equation changes a bit.

Last edited:
I'm glad you got the essence of it. In practice, the actual velocity gets indistinguishably close to the terminal velocity within a very short time, depending, of course on b/m. The higher this ratio is, the faster it happens.

What is resistive force in fluids?

Resistive force in fluids refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. This force is created by the fluid's viscosity and can affect the speed and direction of the object's movement.

How is resistive force in fluids calculated?

The calculation of resistive force in fluids depends on several factors, including the viscosity of the fluid, the shape and speed of the object, and the surface area of the object. The most commonly used equation to calculate resistive force is Stokes' Law, which takes into account these variables.

What factors affect the magnitude of resistive force in fluids?

The magnitude of resistive force in fluids is affected by the viscosity of the fluid, the speed of the object, and the surface area of the object. A higher viscosity or faster speed will result in a greater resistive force, while a larger surface area will decrease the force.

How does resistive force in fluids impact the movement of objects?

Resistive force in fluids can have a significant impact on the movement of objects, especially in fluids with high viscosity. This force can slow down the object's movement and change its direction. In some cases, it can even prevent an object from moving at all.

What are some real-world applications of resistive force in fluids?

Resistive force in fluids has many practical applications, including in the design of vehicles and aircraft. By understanding the resistive force of air or water, engineers can create more efficient and streamlined designs. This force also plays a role in weather patterns, ocean currents, and the flow of blood in the human body.