Ladder leaning against a vertical wall.

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the time at which a ladder loses contact with a wall while sliding down due to its weight. The suggested approach is to calculate the horizontal force against the wall and find the time at which it becomes zero. This can be done by finding the horizontal component of the momentum and solving for when it reaches its maximum. The book provides a formula for the angle at which the ladder loses contact, but working backwards from this has not been successful. The possibility of solving the problem using moments and forces is also mentioned.
Reid
I have encountered some problems with this exercise:

A ladder is leaning against a wall, it will slide due to its weight down the wall and along the floor.

I am supposed to determine the time at which the ladder looses contact with the wall, but how? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the horizontal force against the wall as the ladder slides down. The ladder "loses contact" with the wall when that horizontal force is 0.

Easier said than done. I suppose what one could do is first find the Lagrangian assuming the ladder end touches the wall, solve the equations of motion, find the horizontal component of the momentum. The force will be zero when the horizontal momentum is an extremum (maximum). Such a maximum should exist - if we consider the case where the ladder cannot leave the wall the horizontal component of the momentum starts out as zero, and winds up as zero, but is non-zero in between.

How could you set this up, though? I had a similar problem in my mechanics class this week and I really want to figure it out. The prof said he used energy to solve it (we'll find out how in 2 days) but there has to be a way to solve it with moments and forces, right? I want to figure it out.

The book says the angle at which the ladder loses contact is [tex]sin^{-1}(sin(2/3\theta_{0}))[/tex], where [tex]\theta_{0}[/tex] is the initial angle between the ladder and the ground (I think, I left my book in my car, I'll double check later). Working backward has been so far fruitless.

1. How do you calculate the angle of a ladder leaning against a vertical wall?

To calculate the angle of a ladder leaning against a vertical wall, you can use the mathematical formula: tangent (angle) = opposite / adjacent. Measure the length of the ladder and the distance from the base of the ladder to the wall. Then, divide the length of the ladder by the distance from the base to the wall. Finally, take the inverse tangent of that ratio to find the angle.

2. What is the ideal angle for a ladder leaning against a vertical wall?

The ideal angle for a ladder leaning against a vertical wall is around 75 degrees. This angle allows for a good balance between stability and height. Ladders that are too steep or too shallow can be unstable and dangerous to use.

3. How do you ensure safety when using a ladder leaning against a vertical wall?

To ensure safety when using a ladder leaning against a vertical wall, always make sure the ladder is on stable ground and is securely positioned against the wall. Use the ladder's safety mechanisms, such as locks and stabilizers, and always have someone hold the ladder for extra stability. It is also important to use the correct ladder for the job and to follow proper ladder safety protocols.

4. Can a ladder lean against any type of vertical wall?

Ladders can lean against most types of vertical walls, such as concrete, brick, and wood. However, it is important to make sure the surface is flat and stable. Avoid leaning a ladder against a glass or slippery surface, as it can be dangerous and cause the ladder to slip or break.

5. How do you transport a ladder leaning against a vertical wall?

To transport a ladder leaning against a vertical wall, carefully lower the ladder to the ground and secure it with straps or ropes. Make sure the ladder is securely attached to the vehicle and does not extend past the front or rear of the vehicle. It is also important to properly secure the ladder inside the vehicle to prevent it from moving during transport.