Math Modelling: Calculating Equilibrium Position X0

In summary: N when running. What is her potential energy?AMathlete has a force of 500 N when running. Her potential energy is 5x500=2500 N.
samblue

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves along the positive x-axis with a potential energy given by

V(x)=C+4/x^2+x^2

where C is a postive constant.

Calulate the equilibrium position X0 of the particle.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that at the equilibruim position x=0. However the C part has thrwon me, am i supposed to integrate or differentiate this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
samblue said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves along the positive x-axis with a potential energy given by

V(x)=C+4/x^2+x^2

where C is a postive constant.

Calulate the equilibrium position X0 of the particle.

Homework Equations

None.
How is potential energy related to force? How is force related to equilibrium position?

[Hint: what is the force in terms of the rate of change of potential energy with respect to distance?]

AM

Potential energy is the rate of change of potential energy. Therefore I have to differentiate the potential energy, to my mind this comes to: F=10/4x.
However if I set this equal to 0 (which I though was the condition for equilibrium) x is equal to zero. Is this correct?

That's a pretty strange looking derivative. How did you get that??

samblue said:
Potential energy is the rate of change of potential energy.
I think you might have typed a bit too fast here. That doesn't make any sense.

Rate of change with respect to what? Usually when physicists say "rate of change" they are talking about differentiating with respect to time. That is not the correct relationship between potential energy and force. A very important tool that physicists use is "dimensional analysis". This can be of some help here.

The kinetic energy of some object is [itex]T=1/2mv^2[/itex]. Velocity has units length/time, so in terms of basic units, kinetic energy has units mass*length2/time2, or [itex]ML^2/T^2[/itex] for short. (We throw away unitless constants like 1/2 when doing dimensional analysis). Potential energy is just another form of energy; it has the same units as kinetic energy: [itex]E \approx ML^2/T^2[/itex]. By Newton's second law, [itex]F=ma[/itex]. In terms of dimensions then, force has units [itex]F \approx ML/T^2[/itex]. The only difference between energy and force in terms of dimensions is that energy has extra factor of length compared to force. This is a time for one of those ah ah! moments: "Ah ah! Now I remember: force is the spatial derivative of potential energy."

Dimensional analysis is an extremely powerful tool. You can use it as a sanity check on your answers (units should match up). If you are very smart, you can use it to estimate the yield of an atomic bomb just from a couple of photos of an A bomb explosion.

Therefore I have to differentiate the potential energy, to my mind this comes to: F=10/4x.
That's just wrong. Please show your work here and we'll help you get to the right answer.

samblue said:
Potential energy is the rate of change of potential energy. Therefore I have to differentiate the potential energy, to my mind this comes to: F=10/4x.
However if I set this equal to 0 (which I though was the condition for equilibrium) x is equal to zero. Is this correct?
Is your function:

[tex]V(x) = C + \frac{4}{x^2} + x^2[/tex] ?

If so, this is equivalent to:

[tex]V(x) = C + 4x^{-2} + x^2[/tex]

Differentiate V(x) with respect to x.

AM

1. What is the purpose of math modelling in calculating equilibrium position X0?

The purpose of math modelling is to use mathematical equations and principles to describe and predict the behavior of a system, in this case the equilibrium position X0. This allows us to better understand and control the system in question.

2. How is the equilibrium position X0 calculated in math modelling?

The equilibrium position X0 is calculated by setting the forces acting on the system equal to each other, and then solving for the position where these forces are balanced. This position is known as the equilibrium position X0.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium position X0 in math modelling?

The equilibrium position X0 is affected by various factors such as the initial conditions of the system, the strength and direction of the forces acting on the system, and any external factors that may influence the system.

4. Can math modelling accurately predict the equilibrium position X0 in real-world systems?

While math modelling can provide a good estimation of the equilibrium position X0, it is important to note that there are often uncertainties and limitations in the model that may affect its accuracy. Real-world systems are also complex and may have unpredictable factors that can impact the equilibrium position X0.

5. How can math modelling be used to optimize the equilibrium position X0?

By using math modelling, we can manipulate different variables and parameters to find the optimal equilibrium position X0. This can help us understand how different factors affect the equilibrium position and make informed decisions to improve the system's performance.