Problems with velocity-time graphs

• Thread starter DoctorJesus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the student is struggling with understanding their teacher's notes and finding formulas for displacement, instantaneous velocity, acceleration, and average velocity on a velocity-time graph. They plan on re-doing their notes and have found a helpful resource to guide them in solving the problems.
DoctorJesus

Homework Statement

There are many variables and many questions, I'd just like to know how to go about it because I can't seem to understand the teacher and he's always in the way when he writes down equations, also he's a bit sporadic when it comes to giving us notes, jumping from subject to subject.

- Need formula for displacement on a velocity-time graphs and where (and how) i find the variables

- Need formula for instantaneous velocity from a velocity-time graph and where (and how) i find the variables

- Need formula for acceleration from a velocity-time graph and where (and how) i find the variables

Last but not least

- Need formula for average velocity from a velocity-time graph and where (and how) i find the variables

Homework Equations

- This is what I'm trying to find

The Attempt at a Solution

I've read through my notes many times but they seem too sporadic and unorganized so i plan on re-doing the notes based on this post

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
huge thanks, shooting start! i'll let you know how it goes.. ill be spending a while on there...

ps i got the first 2 questions done correctly (i hope) sofar ... hopefully this page will make the rest a little clearer

1. What is a velocity-time graph and how is it useful?

A velocity-time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity (speed and direction) over time. It is useful in understanding how an object's velocity changes over time and can help analyze motion, acceleration, and distance travelled.

2. How do you interpret the slope of a velocity-time graph?

The slope of a velocity-time graph represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a greater change in velocity over time, while a horizontal line indicates constant velocity (no acceleration).

3. What does a flat line on a velocity-time graph mean?

A flat line on a velocity-time graph means that the object is not accelerating and is moving at a constant velocity. This could indicate that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant speed.

4. How do you calculate distance from a velocity-time graph?

To calculate distance from a velocity-time graph, you can use the area under the curve. The area under the curve represents the distance travelled, and you can use basic geometry to find this area. Alternatively, you can also calculate the distance travelled by finding the total area of each rectangle formed by the graph and adding them together.

5. What are some common problems with velocity-time graphs?

Some common problems with velocity-time graphs include not labeling the axes correctly, not using consistent units, not representing direction accurately, and not having a straight line for constant acceleration. It is important to pay attention to these details to ensure accurate and meaningful interpretations of the graph.