Projectile formula for a golf ball

In summary, the speaker is a golf club builder who recently purchased a Vector Launch Monitor to measure various factors of a golf shot. They are looking for a formula or software that will allow them to input variables and determine the optimum conditions for maximum shot distance. They have access to additional variables such as club head mass and weight, and are seeking guidance on how to achieve their desired results.
stratman65
Hello,

I am a golf club builder here in Fort Worth. I recently bought a Vector Launch Monitor, www.accusport.com, which has a high speed camera hooked to a laptop with software that allows me to capture the golf ball speed, club head speed, launch angle of the golf ball, rpm of back spin and rpm of side spin. I get real time output with each shot measured plus an accumulated average. It also calculates distance of each shot.

This is all based on projectile physics but my knowledge base ends there. Since I am getting real time data what I would like to add to the process is a "what if" formula that let's me enter in the club head speed, launch angle, back spin and then make adjustments to one of these variables so that I can demonstrate what could be the optimum variables for best shot distance for any golfer. There are other variables that the launch monitor does not capture but I have access to such as club head mass (cc's), weight of the club and weight of the golf ball.

It there a formula that I can use that I can plug into and Excel formula or write a VB app that would allow me to plug in the variables and get an answer it would be great.

Thank you for any help or guidance you can give me.

Stratman :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
stratman65,

The accusport website you gave seems to say that the Vector Launch Monitor comes with the kind of software you're describing. What is that you want to do that it doesn't do?

What is the basic formula for calculating the trajectory of a golf ball?

The basic formula for calculating the trajectory of a golf ball is: h = (v0)²sin²θ / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a golf ball?

Air resistance, or drag, can significantly affect the trajectory of a golf ball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force that opposes its motion, causing it to slow down and deviate from its original path. This means that the distance and accuracy of a golf shot can be greatly affected by air resistance.

What factors can impact the initial velocity of a golf ball?

The initial velocity of a golf ball can be impacted by several factors, including the force and angle with which it is struck, the type and condition of the golf club, and atmospheric conditions such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure.

How can the launch angle of a golf ball be optimized for maximum distance?

The optimal launch angle for maximum distance will depend on various factors such as club head speed, ball spin, and wind conditions. Generally, a launch angle of 10-12 degrees is considered ideal for achieving the longest distance, but it may vary for different golfers and clubs.

What role does gravity play in the trajectory of a golf ball?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the trajectory of a golf ball. It is responsible for pulling the ball towards the ground, causing it to follow a curved path. As the ball travels through the air, gravity acts on it, decreasing its velocity and increasing its downward acceleration. This is why it is essential to factor in the effects of gravity when calculating the trajectory of a golf ball.