Need help with electric field/potential problem

• Thread starter lunarskull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the problem at hand is to calculate the local surface charge density at a point on the surface of an irregularly shaped conductor, given the electric field values at two points and the radius of curvature at that point. The formula connecting the electric field and surface charge density can be used to solve this problem, with the understanding that the surface charge density is higher at points of low or high curvature.
lunarskull
The problem is defined below:

The electric field on the surface of an irregularly shaped conductor varies from 56 kn/c to 28 kn/c. calculate the local surface charge density at the point on the surface where the radius of curvature of the surface is (a) greatest and (b) smallest.

Attempt at a solution:

Yet to start, b/c don't understand any further steps with such little information

Extra question:

If they only give us 2 numbers of an irregularly shaped object, how are we supposed to manipulate these numbers to find the local surface charge density?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a formula connecting E immediately outside the surface of a conductor and sigma (surface charge density). You also should know where the sigma is higher, that is, at points of low or high curvature.

thank you for the help, i eventually figured it out because you gave me the general basis that i needed to understand how to answer the problem

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charged particles. It is represented by a vector and is typically measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

What is an electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is the amount of energy required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in units of Volts (V) and is a scalar quantity.

How do I calculate the electric field?

The electric field can be calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force experienced by the charged particle, and q is the charge of the particle. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the equation E = -dV/dr, where V is the electric potential and r is the distance from the source of the electric field.

How do I calculate the electric potential?

The electric potential can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the source charge, and r is the distance from the source charge. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by integrating the electric field along a path.

What are some real-world applications of electric fields and potentials?

Electric fields and potentials have a wide range of applications in our daily lives, such as in electronic devices, power transmission and distribution, and medical equipment. They are also used in industrial processes, such as electroplating and electrostatic painting. Additionally, electric fields and potentials play a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of atoms and molecules, which has numerous applications in chemistry and materials science.