How Is Kinetic Energy Calculated for a Moving Charge?

In summary, the question asks for the kinetic energy of a particle released from rest at a distance of 7.00 m from a fixed charged particle q, which has an electric potential of 3.10E2 V at a distance of 1 m. Using the equations V = Ed and E = Fq, the electric field of Q is found to be 10285714.29 V, which is not a realistic value. However, since the particle is moving very far from q, V_final must be equal to 0V, resulting in a kinetic energy of 1.55 J.
ttiger2k7
[SOLVED] Kinetic Energy of a Charge

Homework Statement

A charged particle q, which is fixed in position, produces an electric potential of 3.10E2 V at a distance of 1 m away (the potential from q vanishes at infinity). If a particle of charge Q=.00500 C is released from rest at a distance of 7.00 m from q, what will be its kinetic energy after moving very far from q?

Homework Equations

V = Ed
E = Fq
KE = q(V_initial-V_final)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since V_initial is given at 310 V, I need to solve for V_final.

Since V = Ed, I solved for the electric field of Q:

E=kq/d^2

E=(9x10^9)(.005)/7^2
E=10285714.29

Then, since V=Ed
V = 10285714.29.

This is where I get confused because I don't think this is a realistic number since V initial was 3.10E2. Please help. I think all I need to do is find V_final to solve the problem, but I am not doing it right. Am I going about this the correct way?

SOLVED: Nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
V_final had to be 0V since it is very far away from q, so the kinetic energy is equal to q(V_initial). KE = (Q)(V_initial) = (.005)(310) = 1.55J

I was using the wrong equation for V_final. It should be V_final = kQ/d. Plugging in the values, I get V_final = 0.01428571429 V. Then, using the equation KE = q(V_initial-V_final), I get KE = 1.42 J.

1. What is kinetic energy of a charge?

Kinetic energy of a charge is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its motion. It is a form of energy that is related to the speed and mass of the charged particle.

2. How is kinetic energy of a charge calculated?

The kinetic energy of a charge can be calculated using the formula K = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the charged particle and v is its velocity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy of a charge?

The unit of measurement for kinetic energy of a charge is joules (J), which is the same unit used for other forms of energy.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a charge relate to electric potential energy?

The kinetic energy of a charge is related to electric potential energy through the work-energy theorem, which states that the change in kinetic energy of a charge is equal to the work done on it by an external force, which is equal to the change in electric potential energy.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a charge be negative?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a charge can be negative if the charged particle is decelerating or moving in the opposite direction of the external force acting on it. In this case, the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as electric potential energy or heat.