Stoichiometry applied to reactions and chemical equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the mass of water produced in a chemical reaction between aluminum hydroxide and sulfuric acid. The participants discuss balancing the equation, determining the limiting reactant, and using mol to mol ratios to find the amount of water produced. They also mention resources for further understanding of these types of problems.
Basari

Homework Statement

I don't understand this problem, i think he wants me to find the limeted reaction. If you could explain as good as possible. Thanks :smile:

Homework Equations

Al(OH)3(s) + H2SO4(l) → Al2(SO4)3(aq) + H2O(l)
If 1.28 g of aluminum hydroxide reacts with 3.73 g of sulfuric acid, what is the mass of the water produced? (Hint: First balance the equation, then think about limiting reactants.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already balanced the equation, but don't know how to start the formula
2Al(OH)3(s) + 3H2SO4(l) → Al2(SO4)3(aq) + 6H2O(l)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the limiting reactant, namely, the least moles of substance you have on the left?

How many moles of aluminum hydroxide do you have, and how many moles of sulfuric acid you have?

From there, perform your stoich, I assume you've been taught.

We just started this today. I didn't really understand it in class and didn't have enough time to ask the teacher. If you have any websites or a good book that walks me through these kinds of problems, i would appreciate it very much.

Well, first you need to find which reactant (aluminum hydroxide or sulfuric acid) produces the least amount of water. This is the limiting reagent.

To do this, use your mol to mol ratios. Have you done that in class yet? Find mols of aluminum hydroxide. Then, using mol to mol ratio, find how many mols of water would be produced from that amount of aluminum hydroxide.

Now find mols of sulfuric acid, and find the mols of water the same way as above.

Which produces the least amount of water? That is going to be your limiting reagent. Once the limiting reagent is used up, the reaction can't continue, right?

Now convert the mols of water to mass of water. Use the mols of water from the limiting reagent you found above.

I hope this makes sense, write back, I will try to explain more clearly.

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. How is stoichiometry applied to reactions?

Stoichiometry is used to determine the amount of products that will be formed from a given amount of reactants, as well as the amount of reactants needed to produce a certain amount of products.

3. What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a representation of a chemical reaction using symbols and formulas of the reactants and products.

4. How is stoichiometry used to balance chemical equations?

Stoichiometry is used to balance chemical equations by making sure the number of atoms of each element is the same on both the reactant and product side of the equation.

5. What is the mole ratio in stoichiometry?

The mole ratio in stoichiometry refers to the ratio of moles of one substance to moles of another substance in a chemical reaction, as determined by the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation.