Need help with FEA of a viscoelastic damper

• Thread starter waqaskhan200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damper Fea
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ansys11 or Ansys Workbench 11 for FEA analysis on a viscoelastic damper. It is suggested that Workbench may be easier to use and there are tutorials available for performing FEA on viscoelastic dampers. The conversation also touches on the possibility of doing FEA calculations by hand and the resources available for learning this skill.
waqaskhan200
I am trying to do a FEA of a viscoelastic damper. Should I use Ansys11 to do the analysis or Ansys Workbench 11.
If I should use Workbench, can anybody give a good link where I can find tutorials on performing FEA on viscoelastic dampers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you doing a harmonic frequency response on this damper? ANSYS standard or workbench are both capable of doing this kind of anlysis, with Workbench probably being easier to use.

I would be starting off with a harmonic analysis, then would do it for random frequency responses. If u know any tutorials regarding viscoelastic dampers in Ansys workbench, please let me know.

i am an undergraduate and am interested in using workbench for a viscoelastic model. Are there any tutorials on entering a command into workbench to activate the prony series to allow viscoelastic properties?

I'm just interested in FEA, so I figured I'd post here. Is it feasible to do FEA calculations by hand? For example, calculating stress and bending motion on a tool of uniform material and density, at certain nodes throughout the tool (for example, bending movement of a wrench as it tightens a nut onto a bolt).

I know there is software out there for this, but it's either expensive or difficult to use for such problems. Where could I learn about doing this kind of work by hand, or is it just a waste of time? I'd rather learn to solve such problems with pencil and calculator before using software.

1. What is FEA and why is it important in analyzing a viscoelastic damper?

FEA stands for Finite Element Analysis, which is a numerical method used to solve complex engineering problems by dividing a structure into smaller elements and analyzing their behavior. It is important in analyzing viscoelastic dampers because it allows for a more accurate prediction of the damper's performance and behavior under different loading conditions.

2. How does a viscoelastic damper work?

A viscoelastic damper works by dissipating the energy of vibration through the internal friction of the material. It consists of a spring element and a damping element made of a viscoelastic material, such as rubber or silicone, which absorbs and dissipates the energy of vibration.

3. What are the main factors that affect the performance of a viscoelastic damper?

The performance of a viscoelastic damper is primarily affected by its material properties, such as stiffness and damping coefficient, as well as its geometry and installation location. The amplitude and frequency of the vibration also play a role in its effectiveness.

4. How can FEA help in optimizing the design of a viscoelastic damper?

FEA can help in optimizing the design of a viscoelastic damper by allowing for the analysis of different design configurations and material properties. By simulating the damper's behavior under various loading conditions, FEA can identify the optimal design that will provide the most effective vibration damping.

5. Are there any limitations to FEA in analyzing a viscoelastic damper?

While FEA is a powerful tool in analyzing viscoelastic dampers, it does have its limitations. It relies on accurate material properties and assumptions, and the results may not always be an exact representation of real-world behavior. It is important to validate the results of FEA with physical testing to ensure accuracy.