Time Estimation for Non-Steady State Diffusion in Steel Alloy

In summary, the problem involves estimating the time needed to achieve a carbon concentration of 0.45% at a point 5.0 mm away from the surface during a carburizing heat treatment. The key is to manipulate the formula for non-steady state diffusion using the equal coefficient of diffusion and concentration values between the two situations.
Suitengu
[SOLVED] Non-Steady State Diffusion

Homework Statement

For a steel alloy below, it has been determined that a carburizing heat treatment of 10 hr duration will raise the carbon concentration to 0.45%. Estimate the time necessary to achieve the same concentration at a point 5.0 mm position for an identical steel and at the same carburizing temperature.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have not picked on what to do but I am currently still manipulating the formula of non-steady state diffusion. So if I can get push in the right direction, that would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind guys I got it. Didnt know one could manipulate the erf function as I did.

I have the same problem and am completely stuck. I know that the coefficient of diffusion and Concentration values are equal between the two situations... but am completely at a loss of how to manipulate the equation to determine the time.

.. need a little push.

1. What is non-steady state diffusion?

Non-steady state diffusion is a process in which particles or molecules move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, but the concentration gradient is constantly changing over time. This is in contrast to steady state diffusion, where the concentration gradient remains constant.

2. What factors affect non-steady state diffusion?

The rate of non-steady state diffusion is affected by several factors, including the concentration gradient, temperature, molecular weight of the diffusing species, and the permeability of the medium through which diffusion is occurring.

3. How is non-steady state diffusion different from steady state diffusion?

Non-steady state diffusion differs from steady state diffusion in that the concentration gradient is constantly changing over time in non-steady state diffusion, while it remains constant in steady state diffusion. Non-steady state diffusion is also typically a slower process compared to steady state diffusion.

4. What are some real-world examples of non-steady state diffusion?

Non-steady state diffusion is a common phenomenon in many natural and industrial processes. Some examples include the diffusion of gases in the atmosphere, the diffusion of nutrients and waste products in cells, and the diffusion of molecules in polymers during the manufacturing process.

5. What are the applications of non-steady state diffusion in research and technology?

Non-steady state diffusion is an important concept in various fields of science and technology. It is used in areas such as materials science, biology, and environmental engineering to understand and model diffusion processes. It is also used in the development of drug delivery systems and in the study of transport phenomena in chemical reactions.