Solving numerically with Excel?

• Thread starter itedin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
If you don't have access to those programs, you could try using the Excel Solver tool to automate the process, but it may not be as efficient as using a programming language. Another option could be to reach out to someone with experience in Mathematica for assistance.
itedin
My quandary... it's related to not being able to evaluate numerically (non-algebraic solutions) with Excel. My Mathematica programming is limited, but I've managed to use Findroot to solve it, but it requires me to manually put in 3#'s, hit enter, then copy paste results back to excel.

However, I'll have to do this serveral thousand times! Lots of data. I really need to automate it... I realize Wolfram sells an applet to plug into Excel, but I don't own it.

Does anybody have any other solutions on how to solve numerically with an excel spreadsheet? I've tried reading Mathematica help to import/process/export... to no avail... I just don't know the language well enough.

By the way, for any curious math folks, equations to be solved are of the form...
exp(-x) - k1*exp(-k2*x) = k3, where k's are constants.

PS - I've created another thread with specific's if anybody well versed with Mathematica is willing to help.

Cheers

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
The general approach I would take would be to import the Excel sheet into a program like MATLAB or R and analyze the data there.

1. How do I input data into Excel for numerical analysis?

To input data into Excel, you can either manually type in the values or copy and paste them from another source. You can also use the "Insert" tab to insert data from external sources such as a text file or database.

2. Can I use Excel to solve complex mathematical equations?

Yes, Excel has the capability to solve complex mathematical equations through the use of built-in functions and formulas. You can also create your own custom functions using the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) programming language.

3. How accurate are the numerical solutions obtained through Excel?

The accuracy of the numerical solutions obtained through Excel depends on the data input and the formulas used. Generally, Excel provides accurate solutions up to 15 digits after the decimal point, but this can be changed in the program's settings.

4. Can I create graphs and charts to visualize the numerical data in Excel?

Yes, Excel has a variety of built-in chart and graph templates that can be used to visualize numerical data. You can also customize these charts and graphs to better represent the data and make it easier to analyze.

5. Is it possible to automate numerical analysis in Excel?

Yes, Excel has a feature called "Solver" which allows you to automate numerical analysis by setting up a goal and constraints for the data. You can also use macros and VBA to automate repetitive tasks and perform numerical analysis on large datasets.