Beam Deflection in a Television Tube

In summary, the problem involves calculating the deflection of a television tube beam with a kinetic energy of 10.8 keV as it moves through a magnetic field with a magnitude of 55.0 µT. Using kinematic equations, the time and displacement can be determined to find the deflection.
daimoku
[SOLVED] Beam Deflection in a Television Tube

Homework Statement

Each of the electrons in the beam of a television tube has a kinetic energy of 10.8 keV. The tube is oriented so that the electrons move horizontally from geomagnetic south to geomagnetic north. The vertical component of Earth's magnetic field points down and has a magnitude of 55.0 µT.

How far will the beam deflect in moving 36.0 cm through the television tube?

Homework Equations

F=Bqv
F=ma
K=.5mv^2

d=vi*t + .5at^2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already completed the first two parts of the problem:
(a) In what direction will the beam deflect? East
(b) What is the acceleration of a single electron due to the magnetic field? 5.949657e14 m/s^2

I'm honestly not sure how to calculate the deflection...do I use kinematic equations? Thanks for any tips you can provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
Figure out the time it takes to reach the end of the tube, and using this time and your acceleration that you calculated, you can find the deflection using kinematics.

Doh! I knew I was overlooking something small. Had to use k=.5mv^2 for the first part to determine the velocity then plug the velocity and displacement into find the time. Once I found the time, I used the acceleration calculated earlier and found the displacement. Simple! Thanks!

1. What is beam deflection in a television tube?

Beam deflection in a television tube refers to the process of directing the electron beam generated by the cathode towards different points on the screen. This is what allows the television to display images and videos.

2. How does beam deflection work?

Beam deflection works by using two sets of electromagnetic coils, known as the vertical and horizontal deflection coils. These coils create a magnetic field that can be manipulated to steer the electron beam towards different areas of the screen.

3. What causes beam deflection in a television tube?

The beam deflection in a television tube is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field created by the deflection coils and the electric field created by the accelerating anode. This causes the electron beam to move in a specific direction towards the screen.

4. What affects the accuracy of beam deflection in a television tube?

The accuracy of beam deflection in a television tube can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the deflection coils and the anode, and any external electromagnetic interference.

5. How is beam deflection used to create images on a television screen?

By controlling the strength and direction of the magnetic field created by the deflection coils, the electron beam can be directed towards different points on the screen, creating a pattern of light and dark pixels that form an image. This process is repeated rapidly to produce moving images on the television screen.