How To Find Work If I have Pressure and Volume

In summary, to calculate the work done in an adiabatic process, you would use the equation P_{1}V_{1}^{\gamma} = P_{2}V_{2}^{\gamma}, where \gamma is the adiabatic index (in this case, 1.4). This process does not involve heat exchange, so the formula for isothermal processes would not be applicable. To calculate the work done in a cycle, you would use the formula Workdone/cycle = n/n-1 x P1V1 x [ (P2/P1)power n-1/n - 1 ], and convert the final result to Watts by dividing by 60.
EngNoob
I have

P_1 = 1 x 10^5 Pa
p_2 = 11.764x10^5 Pa

V_1 0.826 m^3
V_2 0.142 m^3

and

Expansion / Compression Index of 1.4

I need to calculate Work Done.

First of all i identify 1-2 as an Isothermal Process, which gives equation.

W = P_2 * V_2 * ln (V_2 / V_1)

If i use that formula i get an answer.

What i am unsure of is

1) Am i using the right formula based on what data i have, i only have data that i have above.

2) How and what do i use expansion and compression index for?

Thanks for any help, needed urgent to solve a question.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are given an index of 1.4, you are probably supposed to be looking at an adiabatic process for a diatomic gas. So you don't want to use the work formula for an isothermal process.

In a (reversible) adiabatic process, the relationship is [tex]P_{1}V_{1}^{\gamma} = P_{2}V_{2}^{\gamma}[/tex], where gamma is the adiabatic index (in your case, [tex]\gamma = 1.4[/tex]). In such a process, Q = 0 ; you would still calculate work by integrating P dV between the two values for volume, but the result is now a little more complicated...

Last edited:
well if u r talking abt the work done in a cycle then it is

Workdone/cycle = n/n-1 x P1V1 x [ (P2/P1)power n-1/n - 1 ]

but put pressure in KN/m2 this will give u the answer in KJ/minute, and if u divide the answer by 60 then it will b Kilo-Joules/Sec that is Watts, so that will b the Power in KW.

1. How does pressure and volume affect job search?

Pressure and volume can have a significant impact on your job search. Higher pressure and lower volume can indicate a more competitive job market, making it more difficult to find work. On the other hand, lower pressure and higher volume may suggest a less competitive market, making it easier to find job opportunities.

2. What steps can I take to find work under pressure and volume?

To find work under pressure and volume, it is important to stay organized and focused. Make a list of potential job opportunities and prioritize them based on your qualifications and interests. Network with professionals in your desired field and attend job fairs to increase your chances of finding work. Additionally, consider expanding your job search to different industries or locations.

3. How can I manage the stress of job searching under pressure and volume?

Job searching can be stressful, especially when there is pressure and volume involved. It is important to take care of your physical and mental health during this time. Make sure to get enough sleep, eat well, and exercise regularly. Additionally, find healthy ways to cope with stress, such as practicing mindfulness or talking to a friend or therapist.

4. What skills are valuable in a job market with high pressure and low volume?

In a job market with high pressure and low volume, it is important to have skills that make you stand out from other job seekers. These may include strong communication skills, adaptability, and the ability to work well under pressure. Additionally, having relevant experience and a strong professional network can also be valuable in this type of job market.

5. How can I stay motivated in my job search under pressure and volume?

It can be challenging to stay motivated when facing pressure and volume in your job search. One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals and celebrate small successes along the way. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of why you are looking for work and the benefits it will bring. Surrounding yourself with a supportive network of friends and family can also provide encouragement and motivation.