How Do Probabilities Determine the Winner in Multi-Contestant Sports Events?

In summary, my problem is this. We have three javelin throwers A,B and C. It is known that A defeats B with probability 60%, B defeats C with probability again 60% and A has the better of C with 70%. What are the a-priori probabilities of A, B, C winning the 3-way contest? If in general we have N participants and Pij for the head to head probabilities, what is the formula for the win probability of each (Qi = some f(Pij))? Welcome to PF!
plymouth
My problem is this.
We have three javelin throwers A,B and C.
It is known that A defeats B with probability 60%, B defeats C with probability again 60% and A has the better of C with 70%.
What are the a-priori probabilities of A, B, C winning the 3-way contest ?

If in general we have N participants and Pij for the head to head probabilities, what is the formula for the win probability of each (Qi = some f(Pij)) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi plymouth! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've tried so far, and then we'll know how to help you! :smile:

Well I 'm a little baffled.
I suppose -in real life- those percentages 60%, 60%, 70% might derive from statistical observations and logbooks.
So if A throws 85 meters plus-minus 2 metres and if B throws 84.5 meters plus-minus 2 metres -as measured by the sports statisticians- that gives us the percentage of A versus B, using the error integral, and let's say that comes out to be 60%.
Similarly for the other two pairs B-C and A-C.
That type of work takes us to a different sort of sample space -the Gauss distribution- but now the maths are becoming exceedingly awkward.

You could say that A has probability 0.6 x 0.7 = 0.42, B has 0.4 x 0.6 = 0.24 and C has 0.3 x 0.4 = 0.12 but those values add up to 0.88 instead of 1.00 so it's only a crude approximation.

There has to be a better approximation somewhere.

One could also say that since B throws on the average 0.5 meters less than A -the record holder in the company- then the probability might be something of the order of c x exp ( - 0.5 / d ), where d is an experimental constant and c is a normalisation constant.
This approach will, again, give you some not unrealistic figures for the probabilities in such events but that is only empirical.

Last edited:
Hi plymouth! :smile:

Have you done Bayesian probability?

tiny-tim said:
Hi plymouth! :smile:

Have you done Bayesian probability?

I deleted a post because I wrote something in error.
I have done Bayesian probability at college and some other things like the Poisson process.
In this problem, in real life, we measure throw distances and therefore the normal distribution comes into play if you look at it from a rigorous point of view.

ok … unfortunately I know nothing about how to use Bayesian probability, so I can't comment on whether you should be using it. :redface:

You'll have to wait for someone else to answer … or you could PM a homework mentor. :smile:

Looks like I stated the problem from a different angle by talking in terms of Bayesian probabilities.
In reality what we have is measurements of performences, then the normal distribution law comes into play, when we try to predict the winner. In this way only my approximate solution with the exp function works to a certain extent - it does n't look easy to better it, but I was wondering if some newer approximation exists.

There are a multitude of sports situations corresponding to this problem not just the
throwing of objects but also sprint races and even dog races.
The failure of machines with many components may also be subject to the same law - I 'm not too sure about that.

1. What is a multi-variable problem?

A multi-variable problem is a problem or situation that involves multiple independent variables that may impact the outcome or result. This means that there are multiple factors or variables that need to be considered in order to understand or solve the problem.

2. How do you approach solving a multi-variable problem?

When approaching a multi-variable problem, it is important to first identify and define all of the variables involved. Then, you can use tools such as mathematical equations, statistical analysis, or computer simulations to analyze the relationship between the variables and determine their individual and collective impact on the problem.

3. What are some common examples of multi-variable problems?

Examples of multi-variable problems can be found in many fields, including mathematics, science, economics, and social sciences. Some common examples include analyzing the factors that influence stock market trends, understanding the impact of environmental factors on crop growth, or studying the effects of different treatments on patient outcomes in a medical study.

4. Why is it important to consider multiple variables in problem-solving?

Considering multiple variables allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a problem and its potential solutions. It also helps to account for any potential confounding factors that may impact the results. By analyzing all relevant variables, you can make more informed decisions and potentially find more effective solutions.

5. What are some challenges of working with multi-variable problems?

One challenge of working with multi-variable problems is the complexity involved. It can be difficult to accurately measure and analyze the impact of each individual variable, as they may interact and influence each other in unpredictable ways. Additionally, collecting and managing data for multiple variables can be time-consuming and resource-intensive.