Exploring Quantum Mechanics: A Non-Technical Guide for Book Lovers

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking recommendations for a book on Quantum Mechanics that is not too difficult to read. Several suggestions are made, including "Finding Schrodinger's Cat" by Gribbin and "Deep Down Things" by Bruce Schumm. The person also mentions their recent academic achievements and thanks another person for their help. A book has been ordered based on one of the recommendations.
_Mayday_
Hey all,

I have read both "A Brief History of Time" and "The Trouble with Physics" and I am comfotable with this level of detail. Now both give me a broad idea of what's going on out there, or atleast some idea of what people think is. I am looking for a book based on Quantum Mechanics, but not a textbook one like the ones I have mentioned that take you through the basics and isn't too difficult to read. Any help would be great. Thank You!

_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard the best pop-sci book on QM is 'finding schrodinger's cat' by Gribbin, although I have not read it myself.

Thanks, I'll give it a look. If anyone else has heard of this book or something along these lines, it would be great if you gave a few reccomendations.

_Mayday_

I can recommend the following books:

1) Bruce Schumm; Deep Down Things - this is probably the most extraordinary book out there at communicating the concepts of field theory and gauge theory

2) Amir D. Aczel; Entanglement - gives a very good discussion of the people and the concepts surrounding non-locality in quantum mechanics.

3) John Polkinghorne; Quantum Theory - A Very Short Introduction - This is a short and sweet mainstream introduction to Quantum Theory - double slit, Stern-Gerlach , Dirac and so on.

4) Peter Woit; Not Even Wrong - despite having negative comments regarding String Theory in the later chapters, the early chapters up through 9 are a nice discussion of history and conceptual structure of quantum and particle physics;

Thanks Malawi, haven't seen you around in ages!

Xristy, I'll give those a look thanks.

I though you where the one who wrote in his blog that he must leave PF? ;)

Malawi, I've got the balance right between this place and the classroom. In the past two weeks I have achieved two A grades, and with your help on Sunday was the only person who could get to the correct answer, and explain exactly how I got there, so I thank you for that.

The book I mentioned in my initial post has now been ordered, and should be here soon!

hehe that is awesome! I have been here quite much, helping people. Tomorrow my courses starts for real, so I will not be here so much then :( Glad I could help you (again)

have you looked at some of the suggested books here?

Yep! What course is it that you are taking? Goodluck with it anyway!

1. What genres are popular in the book world right now?

The most popular genres currently are fantasy, suspense/thriller, and romance. However, there is always a demand for a variety of genres, so it ultimately depends on personal preference.

2. How do I find new books in a specific genre?

One option is to browse through online bookstores or visit a physical bookstore and explore the shelves in the desired genre section. Another option is to join book clubs or follow book blogs and social media accounts that specialize in the chosen genre.

3. What are some highly recommended books that I should consider?

It depends on your taste, but some popular and highly acclaimed books right now include "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens, "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah, and "Becoming" by Michelle Obama.

4. How can I discover new authors or lesser-known books?

One way is to ask for recommendations from friends, family, or fellow book lovers. Another way is to attend book events or festivals where new and upcoming authors may showcase their work. Online book communities and forums can also be a great resource for discovering hidden gems.

5. Are there any book series that are worth investing my time in?

Some popular book series that are highly recommended by readers include "Harry Potter" by J.K. Rowling, "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin, and "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. It's always a good idea to do some research and read reviews before committing to a series, as it can be quite a time investment.