Emission Spectra: Learn & Explore Resources

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics independent study project on emission spectra, which involves the emission of light by different elements. The process of identifying elements through their emission spectra is explained, with examples such as neon lights and sodium yellow. Several resources and ideas are also requested for further understanding of the topic.
elephantorz
I don't really have a HW question, I am doing physics independent study and I have to do a project. My teacher suggested doing it about emission spectra, only, I have no idea what that is and searching EBSCO is not being really helpful, does anyone have any resources, ideas, etc where I could learn more about it?

Thanks!

Also, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section -_-'...

Physics news on Phys.org
elephantorz said:
I don't really have a HW question, I am doing physics independent study and I have to do a project. My teacher suggested doing it about emission spectra, only, I have no idea what that is and searching EBSCO is not being really helpful, does anyone have any resources, ideas, etc where I could learn more about it?

Thanks!

Also, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section -_-'...

I just asked my bf [math majors for the win] and does it have to do with light being emitted by different elements? Neon lights? Hmmm...

Atoms have many possible energy states for electrons to be in. There can be many possible combinations for electrons to drop from higher to lower states, for example, dropping from principal quantum number n=7 to n=3, etc. Each possible combination is a different change in energy, so the photons given off have that variety of energy values. The frequency of a photon is proportional to its energy, so you can get many colors. You can put the light through a spectrometer to see the individual colors, then identify what the element is. This procedure refers to gases, where atoms are individual things with little effect on each other. You can hold a sample of a solid in a flame and it will emit some hot vapor and a characteristic color. A well-known example is "sodium yellow", a bright color of a specific frequency associated with sodium, which you can produce by heating some sodium chloride.

Last edited:
Thanks!

What is an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum is a pattern of colors or wavelengths of light emitted by a substance when it is excited by heat or electricity. Each element or compound has its own unique emission spectrum, making it a useful tool for identifying and studying materials.

How is an emission spectrum produced?

An emission spectrum is produced when atoms or molecules in a substance absorb energy and become excited. When the excited atoms or molecules return to their ground state, they release the excess energy in the form of light, creating the emission spectrum.

What is the difference between an emission spectrum and an absorption spectrum?

An emission spectrum shows the wavelengths of light that are emitted when an atom or molecule is excited, while an absorption spectrum shows the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a substance. In other words, an emission spectrum shows the colors emitted by a substance, while an absorption spectrum shows the colors that are missing from the light passing through the substance.

Why are emission spectra important in science?

Emission spectra are important in science because they provide a unique fingerprint for different elements and compounds. By analyzing the emission spectrum of a substance, scientists can identify its composition, study its properties, and even determine its temperature. Emission spectra are also used in various analytical techniques, such as spectroscopy, to detect and measure the presence of certain substances.

How are emission spectra used in everyday life?

Emission spectra are used in everyday life in a variety of ways. For example, they are used in fluorescent lights to produce specific colors, in neon signs to create bright and vibrant colors, and in fireworks to produce dazzling displays. Emission spectra are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI and PET scans, to diagnose and treat diseases. They are also used in astronomy to study the composition and movement of stars and galaxies.