General Relativity and the Moon's orbit.

In summary, an object in orbit around a planet or moon follows a path that is the least difficult to travel in terms of speed and distance. However, this path can be modified by factors like speed and distance from the planet or moon, and by the presence of moons or other bodies orbiting the planet or moon.
dba27
Hi

I have a question regarding the Moon's orbit and general relativity.

I think I understand the concept of space time, that an object placed in the fabric of space time distorts the fabric of space time. I also understand how "Classicly" the moon stays in orbit.

Going back to GR and the fabric of space time. From my understanding the moon will orbit the Earth allong the path of least resistance, but if the fabric of space time surrounds the Earth then is there not an infinite number of orbital paths for the moon to follow?

I expect my understanding may need some revision but if someone has an answer it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Darren

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

dba27 said:
… is there not an infinite number of orbital paths for the moon to follow?

Hi Darren! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes … but once you choose the direction and the speed, there is only one orbital path through each point. :smile:

(same basic principle as in Newtonian mechanics, of course!)

In that way (and many other ways), an orbital path is no different from a strait line. If you throw a rock in deep space, there are an infinite number of paths along which you could throw it. But once you have thrown it, and given it a specific speed-and-direction, there is only one path that it will take.

However, in other ways an orbit is somewhat different. There is a certain range of conditions, especially speed and distance from the host Bonnie, that will result in an orbital path. Anything that falls outside this range will not orbit. For example, too fast or too far away, and he "orbit" becomes an open curve (an object that simply bends its path a little as it "flies by"). Too low or too slow, and the object falls into the main body.

As you know, some planets have multiple moons, which represent multiple solutions to various combinations of speed and altitude. Several planets even have rings representing a mathematical solution to where a body could have formed, but didn't.

What is General Relativity and how does it relate to the Moon's orbit?

General Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915 that describes the force of gravity as a curvature of space and time. It is the currently accepted explanation for the behavior of massive objects in the universe. In the context of the Moon's orbit, General Relativity explains the phenomenon of the Moon's orbit being slightly elliptical rather than perfectly circular.

How does General Relativity affect our understanding of the Moon's orbit?

Prior to the development of General Relativity, the Moon's orbit was thought to be a perfect circle. However, with the introduction of this theory, it was discovered that the force of gravity is not a simple pull between two objects, but rather a curvature of space and time. This explains why the Moon's orbit is slightly elliptical and not a perfect circle.

How does the mass of the Moon and Earth affect their gravitational pull?

The mass of an object directly affects its gravitational pull. The larger the mass, the stronger the gravitational force. In the case of the Moon and Earth, the Earth's larger mass results in a stronger gravitational pull, causing the Moon to orbit around it.

Why does the Moon's orbit around the Earth not follow a perfect circular path?

As mentioned before, General Relativity explains that gravity is not a simple pull between two objects, but rather a curvature of space and time. This means that the Moon's orbit is affected by the curvature of space and time around the Earth, resulting in a slightly elliptical path rather than a perfect circle.

Can General Relativity be used to predict the Moon's orbit?

Yes, General Relativity can be used to accurately predict the Moon's orbit around the Earth. By taking into account the mass and curvature of space and time around the Earth, scientists can calculate and predict the precise path of the Moon's orbit with great accuracy using General Relativity.