Calculating 'Push' Force to Maintain Constant Speed

In summary, the problem involves a conducting rail in contact with conducting wires, oriented perpendicular to both wires, being pushed with constant speed. This results in an induced current of 0.69 A, with B = 0.50 T and R (resistor) = 2.0. To calculate the necessary "push" force to maintain the rail's constant speed, we use the equation F = q * v * b, where q represents charge, v represents velocity, and b represents the magnetic field strength. The magnetic force on the wire is equal to F = (0.69A)(0.34m)(.50T) = .117 N. This is considered the "push" force and is necessary to counter
Laurie01

Homework Statement

A conducting rail in contact with conducting wires, oriented perpendicular to both wires, is pushed with constant speed, causing an induced current of 0.69 A. B = 0.50 T and R (Resistor) = 2.0

Calculate the "push" force necessary to maintain the rail's constant speed.

Homework Equations

I assume I use F = q * v * b

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I am using the correct equation here because there is no charge on the conducting rail. I am thinking I need to use an equation that I am not yet familiar with. I went to the chapter in my book over induction and I can't find any equations dealing with a 'push' force.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field, not the force on a single charge. Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/magnetic/forwir2.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh! Duhh. Lol. Thanks so much! That helped.

So, F = (0.69A)(0.34m)(.50T) = .117 N

And this would be considered the "push" force? Or would it be negative since the force is acting in the opposite direction?

Laurie01 said:
And this would be considered the "push" force? Or would it be negative since the force is acting in the opposite direction?
I assume they just want the magnitude of the force.

The induced current leads to a magnetic force on the wire. If you don't push the wire with a force opposite to the magnetic force to cancel it out, the wire will slow down due to the magnetic force. (This is the point of Lenz's law: The induced current is not "free"--you must push on the wire to maintain it.)

Thank you! That makes sense.

What is the definition of "Push" Force?

The "Push" Force is the force applied to an object in order to accelerate it or maintain its constant speed.

How is "Push" Force calculated?

"Push" Force can be calculated by using the formula F = m*a, where F represents the force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration.

What factors affect the required "Push" Force to maintain constant speed?

The required "Push" Force is affected by the mass of the object, the frictional forces acting upon it, and the desired constant speed.

What is the difference between "Push" Force and "Pull" Force?

Both "Push" Force and "Pull" Force are types of net external forces acting on an object. "Push" Force is exerted in the same direction as the object's motion, while "Pull" Force is exerted in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

How can "Push" Force be used to maintain constant speed?

If the net external force acting on an object is equal to zero, the object will maintain its constant speed. Therefore, "Push" Force can be used to maintain constant speed by balancing out any other external forces acting on the object.