Physics Program Admissions: Chemistry GRE vs Physics Test

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a Chemistry GRE for Physics graduate programs and the chances of getting into a good program with a strong chemistry and math background but limited physics experience. The overall consensus is that it is unlikely for a Physics program to accept the Chemistry GRE and it may be difficult to get into a top physics program without a strong physics background.
MAins
Hi, does anybody know if Physics programs will accept the Chemistry GRE in lieu of the Physics test?

Also, can somebody with a good chemistry and math background, but not a ton of physics (i.e., not as much as a physics major), get into a good physics program?

I'm fairly early on as an undergrad, but would still appreciate knowing this stuff for the future... Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, I very much doubt that they will accept the Chem GRE instead. But if you're considering physics grad school, and you are still in the first years of undergrad, why not just major in physics? You might get into a few schools without a strong physics background, but you'll either have a lot of catching up do before you even start, or you won't be able to catch up - our school admits at least one person a year with an engineering background, but none have made it past the first year.

If you're considering grad school in physics, major in physics.

MAins said:
Hi, does anybody know if Physics programs will accept the Chemistry GRE in lieu of the Physics test?

Also, can somebody with a good chemistry and math background, but not a ton of physics (i.e., not as much as a physics major), get into a good physics program?

I'm fairly early on as an undergrad, but would still appreciate knowing this stuff for the future... Thanks!

You might be able to convince a Physics masters program to take you, but it's probably a bit more difficult to get into a well known (top 40) physics phd program with a Chem/math program. I'm not going to go as far to say it's impossible, but you'd certainly be an outlier.

1. What is the difference between the Chemistry GRE and the Physics Test for admissions to a Physics program?

The Chemistry GRE is a standardized test that assesses a student's knowledge of general chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and physical chemistry. On the other hand, the Physics Test evaluates a student's understanding of classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, modern physics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics.

2. Which test should I take if I want to apply to a Physics program?

If you are interested in pursuing a Physics program, it is recommended that you take the Physics Test. This test is specifically designed to assess your understanding of key concepts and principles in physics, which will be crucial in your studies as a graduate student.

3. Can I take both the Chemistry GRE and the Physics Test?

Yes, you can take both tests if you are interested in applying to programs that have different admissions requirements. However, keep in mind that some programs may only consider one specific test, so it is important to research the requirements of each program before deciding which test(s) to take.

4. Do all graduate programs in Physics require the Chemistry GRE or Physics Test?

No, not all graduate programs in Physics require these tests. Some programs may have their own specific admissions tests, while others may not have any standardized test requirement at all. It is important to research the admissions requirements of each program you are interested in.

5. How do these test scores affect my chances of admission to a Physics program?

The Chemistry GRE and Physics Test scores are just one part of the overall admissions process. While a good score can certainly strengthen your application, other factors such as letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statement will also be considered. It is important to have a well-rounded application and not solely rely on test scores for admission to a graduate program in Physics.